A TOO LATE ban on Florida exotics?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
This feels like a case of closing the barn door after all 16 species have already escaped... also, the saccharin statements of concern for the Everglades ecosystem from the lawmakers ring hollow, coming from a state that's been doing its best to destroy the Everglades for nearly a century but is still allowing dumping and pumping and parking-lot-erization to proceed unchecked.

JMHO, YMMV.

Jamie

Skip K

Virginia
As crazy as the sounds, I guess as long as they can go in some place and warm back up they can survive.
Many non North American reptiles can be “brought back to life” when exposed to cold temps and appear lifeless. It’s when temps drop below freezing that ice crystals form in the tissues and organs which dooms a animal

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Many non North American reptiles can be “brought back to life” when exposed to cold temps and appear lifeless. It’s when temps drop below freezing that ice crystals form in the tissues and organs which dooms a animal
Here in south Florida ice crystals aren't a thing.
But the exotic reptiles and fish shut down due to the cold (50°) And they die over a period of days without moving at all if the temperature doesn't pick back up.
It seems like that magic number is 48 hours. Then higher body function ceases.
Also, I'm no scientist. But it seems to me that during each cold spell, less have died and the return to "normal" numbers has been faster.
Signs of adaptation?
Evolution?
We may end up with true North American strains that are less prone to death by cool weather.
I wonder what they'll be saying 25 years from now?
I think it's improbable that many of these species will be eliminated. ESPECIALLY Green Iguanas.20201030_101031.jpg20201102_214206.jpg20180817_123714.jpg

Last edited:

Skip K

Virginia
Here in south Florida ice crystals aren't a thing.
But the exotic reptiles and fish shut down due to the cold (50°) And they die over a period of days without moving at all if the temperature doesn't pick back up.
It seems like that magic number is 48 hours. Then higher body function ceases.
Also, I'm no scientist. But it seems to me that during each cold spell, less have died and the return to "normal" numbers has been faster.
Signs of adaptation?
Evolution?
We may end up with true North American strains that are less prone to death by cool weather.
I wonder what they'll be saying 25 years from now?
I totally agree. What did Jeff Goldblum say in Jurassic Park? “nature finds a way”. I remember a good friend of mine who I used to go herping with. He brought in a copperhead he caught fishing. It was lifeless? covered in ice in his ice chest. He then put it in the freezer for hours. He then brought it out to scare the people who are afraid of snakes...opening its mouth to show the fangs. Lol...I think you know where this is going. I noticed a barely perceptible twitch in the snakes tail and told him. He said not to worry...the snake was dead...right up till it bit him. He was crazy. He took me to a very isolated marshy property that man had never touched...herping. We saw about 20 yards away...sitting on a stump sunning...a common snapper the size of a sewer lid...and he jumped in the water after it..but thankfully couldn’t find it...lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Right, if they can warm back up.

Marshall77

Oregon
I don't think the occasional released Escape pet is going to make much difference now. Wild breeding stock is established as others have said if these bands were going to be done they should have been done a long time ago. I would like to think there are more responsible pet owners than not and all this will really do is punish the responsible ones. Jails and prisons are full but they're not full of responsible law-abiding citizens.