A Tip While Soaking

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I see many threads re' torts who are desperate to climb out of their soak.

My 2 year old Burmese Star is still very timid, even in his closed chamber. He's frightened by being exposed, so he wants to lay under his plant, hidden, all the time. It's a big world, and you just never know when something is going to swoop down from above and grab you.

So when he soaks, he walks around for a few minutes, then starts trying to climb out. As each minute goes by, he tries harder and gets more distressed, until he is in a frenzy of scratching and standing.

Now I understand that this is good exercise. And I want him to get exercise. However, after a while of climbing, there is a subtle change...he shows a desperation and franticness that I don't like. He seems to genuinely fear for his life, and I don't think that is healthy. Also, when like this, he is flipping on to his back, so I have to stay right there with him. The time comes when enough is enough, but I want him in the water longer.

So my big discovery is that throwing a towel over the tub settles him down almost immediately. It's not the water he's afraid of, it's being exposed from above. After a few minutes, I can remove the towel and there is a brief period when he remains calm before I have to replace it.

So simple! But what a difference it has made. I hope others can make use of this when their torts are frenzied to get out.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
That’s a really good idea. It would probably help hold the temperature of the water better too. My tortoise will sit still for a few minutes before he starts climbing the walls. I put him in the container and then scoop the water onto his shell and he seems to enjoy it. Usually 3 to 5 minutes in when he’s decided he’s had enough of that, he heads straight for a corner and starts the “tortoise treadmill”. Thanks for the new idea.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

My 2 year old Burmese Star is still very timid, even in his closed chamber. He's frightened by being exposed, so he wants to lay under his plant, hidden, all the time. It's a big world, and you just never know when something is going to swoop down from above and grab you.

So when he soaks, he walks around for a few minutes, then starts trying to climb out. As each minute goes by, he tries harder and gets more distressed, until he is in a frenzy of scratching and standing.

Now I understand that this is good exercise. And I want him to get exercise. However, after a while of climbing, there is a subtle change...he shows a desperation and franticness that I don't like. He seems to genuinely fear for his life, and I don't think that is healthy. Also, when like this, he is flipping on to his back, so I have to stay right there with him. The time comes when enough is enough, but I want him in the water longer.

So my big discovery is that throwing a towel over the tub settles him down almost immediately. It's not the water he's afraid of, it's being exposed from above. After a few minutes, I can remove the towel and there is a brief period when he remains calm before I have to replace it.

So simple! But what a difference it has made. I hope others can make use of this when their torts are frenzied to get out.
I've never tried this. I've always soaked them in shoe boxes with the lid on, so I haven't seen the behavior you mentioned. Keeps them more humid and keeps the water warmer longer.

What color towel do you use and how dark does the container get? This is a good idea.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
What color towel do you use and how dark does the container get? This is a good idea.

I'm using a bright red towel this week. He always has "his" towel hanging alongside my hand and kitchen towels, so the color varies. But it's always a dark color.

The bin, which is a black dishwashing tub, gets "deep shade" dark. He can certainly see, but it's a comforting dark.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I did the towel over the water tub with Miss. Dexter Persimmons because he was a rescue and panicked in water. I put the towel over him he immediately calmed down. Now he doesn't need the towel. He lovess his soaks now.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Such a GREAT IDEA!