Soaking my Russian tortoise

Beads86

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi all

looking for more helpful advice. How often should I soak my tort? I have been soaking him daily for about 20 mins about an hour after he wakes up and before I feed him. He is just over 12 months old. At first he was quite happy with this but now every other day he starts trying to climb out after about 5 mins. He is eating, peeing and pooping fine. He keep his table humidity at around 50% in the open and his hide is more like 80%. I mist his food so I know he is well hydrated. Should I move to every other day do you think?

ISU

South Korea
Greetings, i think soaking him every day will do no harm and if you skip a day, there will be no big problem

Mine is 100g now, but I will soak her every day until she reaches about 300

Last edited:

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi all

looking for more helpful advice. How often should I soak my tort? I have been soaking him daily for about 20 mins about an hour after he wakes up and before I feed him. He is just over 12 months old. At first he was quite happy with this but now every other day he starts trying to climb out after about 5 mins. He is eating, peeing and pooping fine. He keep his table humidity at around 50% in the open and his hide is more like 80%. I mist his food so I know he is well hydrated. Should I move to every other day do you think?
20 minutes per day is good and it won’t hurt him to continue with daily soaks. If he’s over 100 grams it’s ok to skip a day here and there. Just so you know though, it is very normal for tortoises appear as though they want to escape their soak. We call it the tortoise treadmill. It’s actually good for them and helps with their digestion. Once I learned this, it was much easier for me to be ok with my tortoise walking in place during his soaks. Just make sure the container you’re soaking in is deep enough that your tortoise can’t just crawl out and walk away and that you keep the water slightly warm. I find I have to change my torts soaking water every 10 min or so.