A sign of dominance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a female RT that has been mounting one of the other females and two of my males lately. I am wondering if this could be a sign a wanting to be top tort? What do you all think?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
It's possible that she is gravid. :D Some female tortoises, when gravid, ram and mount any tortoise in the enclosure. It's the female trying to drive other females away from a good nesting area, so they are able to lay their eggs in a good spot.

Danny

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well that would be exiciting if she was gravid. I will be watching for that. But just in case thats not it, any other thoughts?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
She may be trying for dominance. She may be signaling she is wanting to be breed (or at least is sexually mature) and maybe even trying to stimulate the males into breeding behavior. Danny gave you a good reason for her behavior too. Best thing is like you have already done, which is take note of it. Now she watch and see where it goes from here. I am hoping it's for the reason Danny suggested however...lol...eggs would be wonderful wouldn't they? :D

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yep , eggs would be wonderful. If she is looking for love then she is probably outta luck because I have not seen any interest from my males. That time has passed as far as I can tell for them. Poor girl. I will be closely watching to see what happens and let you all know if it turns out to be eggs anyways! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.