A question about pyramiding

Kasey

Is severe pyramiding really permanent or is there a way to help the shell smooth out at least a little?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
It's permanent, as the tortoise grows it lessens, but it is always there.

Kasey

It's permanent, as the tortoise grows it lessens, but it is always there.
That's what I thought but I just wanted to make sure. I'm glad it will at least lessen some.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Only if MBD is present...I've seen some extreme pyramiding in young tortoises...that has evened out some as they got larger. Another thing! Contrary to popular belief, pyramiding can set in at any time...not just because they were brought up wrong! Tom has a sulcata female...Daisy...who was VERY pyramided...but no MBD. She has grown out of it...although the initial pyramiding is quite obvious...it hasn't grown along with her...in fact, it appears to have ceased and desisted altogether!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Does pyramiding permanently hurt them? I mean, down the road once the offensive cause has been removed.

It doesn't cause pain, if that is what y0u mean, the bumps will smooth a bit, but it will still be noticeable. But no pain, just permanent bumps.

Kasey

Only if MBD is present...I've seen some extreme pyramiding in young tortoises...that has evened out some as they got larger. Another thing! Contrary to popular belief, pyramiding can set in at any time...not just because they were brought up wrong! Tom has a sulcata female...Daisy...who was VERY pyramided...but no MBD. She has grown out of it...although the initial pyramiding is quite obvious...it hasn't grown along with her...in fact, it appears to have ceased and desisted altogether!
This is good to know for the future. Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is severe pyramiding really permanent or is there a way to help the shell smooth out at least a little?

Existing pyramiding will not go away, but with the right conditions you can get new growth to come in smoother.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
If you stop it at a young age it will hardly be visible.. But once started its hard to stop..

Kasey

If you stop it at a young age it will hardly be visible.. But once started its hard to stop..
Yeah I've notice that. She eats good now, lots of grass and some romain and green leaf. I just hope it gets better as she gets bigger. She is also smaller then what I've been seeing with others around her age.