A Problem With Ants

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoisePunk

5 Year Member
Our juvenile sulcata is about to outgrow his terrarium and I think he's just big enough to get a nice outdoor pen. We live in Arizona, so the climate is to his liking, and he loves cruising around the yard munching grass on supervised outings.

Only problem is our yard has quite a few ants. They don't bite seem to bother him when I'm keeping an eye on him but I'm not willing to risk moving him outside with a potentially dangerous pest. Only thing is I'm not sure how to go about getting rid of them without making the area toxic to the tortoise.

Any suggestions?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
what kind of ants? Most ants will not bother a tortoise. Unless your pretty much have a whole group of ants in the enclosure, if your really worried though and want to kill them, just use boiled water, find where they are coming from and pour some hot water down there nest, that will kill them.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Someone on a previous post said something about cornstarch. I am sorry but I can not remember most of it.

S

stells

pure calcium carbonate... sprinkle a line of it around the enclosure... ants will not cross it as it clogs them up... probably the same with cornstarch

Status
Not open for further replies.