A portions question

Marshall77

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Should I be holding any ingredients back or giving an excessive amount? Or is it more important that I just get a variety of foods into her?
Today he is already had his commercial Forest food mix, some grass a dandelion leaf and a few strawberry tops. And later he will get a portion of my mixed salad when I have it. No dressing of course not for him.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
A diet of fresh leafy greens is best, but you don't have to feed all the options at once just some variety at a time.
Dandelions and a variety of other safe weeds are fine to feed instead of or in addition to salad mixes. Dried foods and pellets etc shouldn't be the main diet especially when weeds are freely available.
See the caresheet and www.thetortoisetable.org.uk
Think of the shell as an upturned bowl and feed that amount but if he eats it all give more. He will stop eating when he's had enough but needs food available at all times so that he can graze when he wants to.

Marshall77

Oregon
A diet of fresh leafy greens is best, but you don't have to feed all the options at once just some variety at a time.
Dandelions and a variety of other safe weeds are fine to feed instead of or in addition to salad mixes. Dried foods and pellets etc shouldn't be the main diet especially when weeds are freely available.
See the caresheet and www.thetortoisetable.org.uk
Think of the shell as an upturned bowl and feed that amount but if he eats it all give more. He will stop eating when he's had enough but needs food available at all times so that he can graze when he wants to.
His commercial food isn't his main diet she gets three four pallets something about it makes me feel better to give him a commercial food just like I give my dog a commercial food but she gets some other things to. Getting back to Marshall I like to keep some grass in the aquarium all times, just not so much that it wilts before he gets a chance to eat it. If this means I'm out picking weeds out of the Rose bed several times a day and my neighbors think I'm weird so be it.
Later when everything is in bloom I plan on taking my phone and making detailed video of everything growing in the Rose bed so if there's anything bad that he can't have hopefully one of you will spot it and let me know. If I can't post the video here for some reason I can certainly post it on my YouTube channel.