A Not-Even Noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate

5 Year Member
Greetings fellow herp lovers!
I am Kate, I am 20 yrs old and I live in Houston, TX, currently a college student, aspiring to be a veterinarian specializing in reptiles.
I love all reptiles, I admit I have a real fondness for snakes and geckos, but I have been able to handle these, whereas I have very limited experience with chelonians.
In my constant talking about reptiles, I discovered that while my mom does NOT want a snake in the house, she has a particular fondness for tortoises! I am a hyper researcher, and have been pouring over tons of tortoise information.
She actually seems quite open to getting a tortoise, and I have grown to love their adorable grumpy faces.
Now, though, is the tough decision of species...
I don't mean to sound crazy, but honestly, the 2 top species I am interested in are the Salcata ... and the Testudo kleinmanni ... I know I know..
We are avid animal people, and I believe that even beginners can care for more demanding species, if they research and prepare the environment very well before acquiring the animal.
We have plenty of room for either species, which almost makes it worse, as it doesn't really narrow down the choices.

I cannot find the average lifespan for Egyptians, nor any information on the general temperament of the species, much less the cost for a hatchling, or a supplier of captive bred babies...
I am trying to decide which would fit our household better, which would be more personable, etc etc...
My only concern is raccoons/opossums/coyotes/feral cats, and how big a salcata would need to be before living outdoors and/or how to protect it suitably.

I just realized I have made an entirely too long introductory post.. my apologies.
HI GUYS!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kate, and welcome to the Forum!

Sulcatas grow pretty fast and can be outside in a pen at about 3 years. The egyptian tortoises are very small and a bit hard to find. You probably would have to end up buying one online from a dealer. While sulcatas are readily available and some of our members breed and sell them.

Kate

5 Year Member
Thanks emysemys!
I have been combing through this website lol, there are so many gorgeous tortoises!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome. Sulcatas do have great personalities. And Egyptians I believe the Arizona tortoise compound sells them. Andy is a great guy and stands behind what he sells...

Kate

5 Year Member
Thanks guys!!! I have sent Andy an e-mail... honestly, if we got Egyptians, I might try over years to get an unrelated trio to breed, as their genetics are precious. I shall be discussing with my mom what which direction she would like to go with tortoises! They are such wonderful creatures, all of them!

ColorfulTortoise

5 Year Member
New England
Welcome to the forum!! :)
My dream is to rescue sulcatas and other species of tortoises. Good luck deciding!

Status
Not open for further replies.