A new waterer and a few extra pictures

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Last year I adopted a small breeding group of luteola (desert box turtles) to a very nice gentleman from a small town south of me. Last week he brought me three babies that hatched in the ground. Then Sunday he called me and said he was bringing up the supplies to re-do my three toe waterer. And, sure enough, he showed up with two bags of cement (concrete???I never know the difference), a trowell, some chicken wire, sand, knee pads, gloves and energy. He made a very nice waterer in the three toe yard, and had a little left over so he made a small waterer in the Florida yard (only two turtles in there).

box turtle waterer 9-7-15 a.jpg box turtle waterer 9-7-15 b.jpg

the small one for the two Floridas:

box turtle waterer 9-7-15 c.jpg

And some odds and ends pictures from today:

box turtles 9-7-15 a.jpg box turtles 9-7-15 b.jpg box turtles 9-7-15 c.jpg box turtles 9-7-15 d.jpg box turtles 9-7-15 e.jpg box turtles 9-7-15 f.jpg box turtles 9-7-15 g.jpg box turtles 9-7-15 h.jpg box turtles 9-7-15 i.jpg

I had left the 'building trash' in the box turtle yard while the cement cured, covered with 2x4's and tarp, and this a.m. I went out there to clean it up. When I lifted one of the 2x4's this is what I found cowering under it:

box turtle babies 9-7-15.jpg

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Wonderful!!!!
What a nice man. The areas of water look great!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok. I'll go see if I can rustle up a few of the adults. The babies are pretty hard to find, but I'll try to find them too. Give me a few...

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
What a fine gentleman! The picture of the Eastern just cracks me up. Giving you that like look like, "Are you serious!"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I removed the 'roof' of their shelter, one of my biggest females was on her back, dead and totally dessicated. I think I only had 1.2 left after adopting the others to the nice guy. So here are what I think to be a female on the left and the male on the right:

luteola a.jpg luteola b.jpg

and two of the three squirrely babies:

luteola babies a.jpg luteola babies b.jpg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
And, sure enough, he showed up with two bags of cement (concrete???I never know the difference), a trowell, some chicken wire, sand, knee pads, gloves and energy.

Cement is used to make concrete. Concrete is cement + aggregates (sand, gravel). I'd assume it was concrete because it's easier to buy the bagged concrete instead of trying to make your own.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Cement is used to make concrete. Concrete is cement + aggregates (sand, gravel). I'd assume it was concrete because it's easier to buy the bagged concrete instead of trying to make your own.

So if I say, "I fell and skinned my knee on the cement sidewalk." I really ought to say, "I fell and skinned my knee on the concrete sidewalk."?