A new user here with a little problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loulilouch

5 Year Member
Hi

I have a Agrionemys horsfieldii (Or Testudo horsfieldii) since a year.

I'm having problems finding food (Wild flowers) because I live in a Canary Island, This is like a desert! I have found wild plants but I don't know If they are toxic or not, sometimes ago I asked in many spanish websites but nobody knew, that's why I'm here.

Now I'm feeding my tortoise with vegetables: watercress, endive, italian chicory, pumpkin, marrow (zucchini) and Leontodon hispidus (I can buy this)

I know that It's a poor diet, I tried to seed wild flowers, but they didn't grow :(

Sorry If my English Isn't good enough, I'm Uruguayan (But I live in spain), just 16 years old.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Welcome!. The stuff your buying is ok. I would feed the pumpkin and zuccini very sparingly though. Maybe once a month. Greens, and weeds are good too. Thistle, grasses, etc...

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
The proper diet for a tortoise should mainly consist of weeds and grasses. Some veggies are OK also. Torts do not need flowers so you don't have to worry about that. At most online reptile stores you can purchase "weed seed" which is a bag full a bunch of different weed seeds. You just plant them and your tort feast!

Loulilouch

5 Year Member

tortoise007 said:
At most online reptile stores you can purchase "weed seed" which is a bag full a bunch of different weed seeds. You just plant them and your tort feast!

I have already tried that, but they didn't grow, I have bought three different kinds of "weed seeds for tortoise", in three different web sites...and a lot of different kind of wild plants (Like white clover or Cat's Ear)

I have a little box full of seeds :(

Anyway, I'm going to try again, maybe this time they grow up.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Another idea is to try some edible cacti and succulents. These tend to grow well in desert regions.

Loulilouch

5 Year Member
mctlong said:
Another idea is to try some edible cacti and succulents. These tend to grow well in desert regions.

...I don't know why, I replied, but instead of the post there appeared "undefined" or something like that.

Well, I was asking that what part of the plant Opuntia Cactus I can give to the tortoise, because It has a lot of thorns, should I give to the tort the fruit, the flower or the leaf?

Thanks for the idea mctlong.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Welcome friend. My ancestors are from the Canary islands. This is what you should do with the cactus. The red fruit is a favorite among torts. The thorns on the leaf can be removed carefully. What I did in the past was to collect a bunch if it with gloves. I put it into a large tub of cold water. Let it sit for about an hour. Then, with tweezers, I begin to pluck each thorn out, one by one. It may take you an hour or so, but if you only have to do one or two leaves, it will be quicker. You then can safely feed your torts the cactus and fruit. Here in the states, you can buy a spineless cactus and grow it yourself. I would check the internet. Also, you can store the cactus in a cool room, not in the refrigerator. It will last longer.

As a side note, below my name is a thread written by Tom. If you have a dog, plan on getting a dog, or allow dogs to visit your home, then this thread is a must read.

Status
Not open for further replies.