A message to tort veterans...

Morlas Mama

Location (City and/or State)
NW Indiana
80F is a good minimum but 2degrees isn't going to cause a catastrophe. I've had temps go as low as 75-77F and it's still ok. Yes, Lean towards 80 but slightly lower is still ok.
Now, dropping into 73, 72,70s...etc... you start asking for trouble.

I'd prefer the temps going down to 78F over keeping it at an 85F minimum..
I adjusted the timer to go on at 80° and off at 85°. That was an easy fix yay! Thanks for the info!

Morlas Mama

NW Indiana
See, buried in the moss! Your tort will love it ;) and it's mold risk free!

Those torts are so freaking beautiful! What species are they?

The moss, I can get this at any pet store or is it a landscaping place I should go to? And, do the torts try to eat it? Is it safe for their diet if they do?

Guess who had mold in the tank this morning? Yep...me. Talk about "calling it" Gomberg lol. It wasn't on the hay in the corner though. It was on the coco coir near the food dish. A little bit of Mazuri got mixed in the substrate when I turned it over and replaced the hay last night and it molded literally overnight! Today's to do list: purchase moss, but bigger hide for sponge ceiling and keep a more mindful eye around food dish area.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I prefer my heat to go on at 77F and off by 82 or 83... but I'm just sharing that for "FYI".. yours at 80-85 is fine, too

These are some Leopard hatchlings.

You can buy the green moss at Petsmart or get the un dyed brown moss in larger quantities or cheaper at Home Depot/ Lowes.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The brown sphagnum moss

vep3qb.jpg

Morlas Mama

NW Indiana
I wanted to wait for transformation Tuesday but I can't. So I'll call it Morla Monday instead :D

Look at what just 10 days of researching these threads and implementing the tips have done! Poor Morla looks to be dehydrated to me comparing the two in split screen. Her eyes looked sunken in and parts of her shell look collapsed(?) and brittle :( Maybe it's just me being neurotic but I see improvement in a short time frame.

Whoever says sulcatas don't need high humidity and all the other things on Tom's care sheet are full of poppy-**** lol. My only regret is that I wasn't able to care for her the 4 months before I got her. Thanks again TFO!
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg