A little Snow and Cold Temps

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So cute, the little snow stuck to his feet. At least iffy you needed to find him, you could just follow the tracks.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Those tracks, and the tortoise butt going back into his box, are so cute! My tortoise is such a wimp. He didn't come out today even though it was in the high 60s but overcast. Yesterday he was out in pouring rain.

Clawem

I was just wondering as I also have a Sulcata in cold temps. Do you ever worry about frost bite in those cold temps and walking around in the snow? I would think it would be possible after a couple of hours walking in the snow.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Len, we are a few miles north of you with the same "high" temperatures today and our sully is either inside tucked away in his heated box or basking under his lamp having snacked on Mazuri and dandelion.

Walker looks happy and I can't believe he was out that long! A true northern stock sully.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I was just wondering as I also have a Sulcata in cold temps. Do you ever worry about frost bite in those cold temps and walking around in the snow? I would think it would be possible after a couple of hours walking in the snow.
When he first started living outside full time I didn't know how he was going to react to the cold. I watched him very close to see if he acted differently in any way. The first winter was much warmer than normal and no snow so everything went well, he acted normal and returned to his house to warm up without any help from me. When he is out in very cold weather like yesterday he is is moving constantly except when he stops to eat, and it's like he knows when to go home and get warm. I raised 3 females and a adopted male,these 4 also handle the cold weather without problems and return to their houses to heat up.They are still living outside but not here with Walker. Deep snow can be a problem because no matter how many paths you clean for them they will plow though the deep stuff and it gets packed around the neck and soft skin between the front legs. I have never seen any visible damage to the feet.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Len, we are a few miles north of you with the same "high" temperatures today and our sully is either inside tucked away in his heated box or basking under his lamp having snacked on Mazuri and dandelion.

Walker looks happy and I can't believe he was out that long! A true northern stock sully.
I used to bring Walker into the garage here at the Beach, He did fine but does seem to enjoy being outside where he can get some natural sun even though sometimes it gets so cold I don't want to go out in it either. like right now, front yard 11F back yard 12F. Walker stayed inside today where he is nice and cozy. . I remember when Glen Dale was considered way out in the country.

Clawem

I had mine outside until this past week as the temp have been 8 and 9 the past couple of days so I brought him in. Just too worried that he would stay out and not be able to get back in his heated box even though that has never happened. Also do you have a back up system if the power goes out in the middle of the night and you are not aware like an alarm or something. That is probably what I am most worried about loss of power in the middle of the night. I have a generator but it does not turn on automatically.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I had mine outside until this past week as the temp have been 8 and 9 the past couple of days so I brought him in. Just too worried that he would stay out and not be able to get back in his heated box even though that has never happened. Also do you have a back up system if the power goes out in the middle of the night and you are not aware like an alarm or something. That is probably what I am most worried about loss of power in the middle of the night. I have a generator but it does not turn on automatically.
I don't have any bells or whistles to alert to a power outage in Walkers house, I have low wattage led lights that stay on as long as the power is on. I have a kilawatt in line to the oil filled electric radiator to monitor it's wattage use. I keep at least 2 indoor outdoor thermometer sending units inside the house at all times to keep an eye on the temps inside.There are 3 different heat sources to choose from, and 2 separate power lines, each being able to handle the total wattage if needed. I have two 5000 watt generators. I know only one is necessary but I got the second one free. I have extra heaters in case any of them just stops working. If we do loose power, it only takes a short time to get generator power up and running.