A little help for a new owner (What kind, & Questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELSman

5 Year Member
My son just turned 10 and for almost a year now he had begged for a tortoise. So for this birthday we took him to a local pet store and he picked out Jelly. However, we are new to the tortoise world and would like some pointers such as, what king of tortoise is Jelly? How old may Jelly be? Is Jelly a male or female? And any other pointers would be great. I couldn't figure out how to attach a photo but Jelly is my profile picture. Thanks in advance for all your help!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: A little help for a new owner

Hello and Welcome:) someone more knowledgeable with your species will be along soon to help.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member

Hi Congrats on your son's new pet tortoise! Did they give you the kind of tort & any care instructions?

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland

Welcome.

I've never seen a tortoise looking quite like that. Unusual growth. Maybe a greek? I'm sure someone will know.

I'm not surprised the pet store didn't know either. When I bought my Mali Uromastyx around 10 years ago it was just listed as "Uromastyx". No subspecies or anything.

ELSman

5 Year Member

Tortus said:
Welcome.

I've never seen a tortoise looking quite like that. Unusual growth. Maybe a greek? I'm sure someone will know.

I'm not surprised the pet store didn't know either. When I bought my Mali Uromastyx around 10 years ago it was just listed as "Uromastyx". No subspecies or anything.

I was told it is a Greek but seems a little light colored so from the research I have done I'm guessing Golden Greek maybe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Welcome to the Forum, ELSman!

Your tortoise looks like a Greek to me. We can't tell you the sex unless we can see a picture of the bottom, which includes the tail. It looks like a full grown tortoise to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.