A garden full of possible food

mlummus

My grandma had a huge vegetable garden and I'm already taking advantage of her squash plants for my Frankie. But she has an enormous amount of tomatoes and eggplant that I was curious if my tort could eat?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Depends on the species. Mediterranean torts and Sulcatas can only eat tomatoes very occasionally. Tomatoes, like all fruit, are full of sugars which they find hard to digest. Much as they love them, tomatoes will make them sick if eaten too much

Egg plant, or aubergine as it is also known, is regarded as toxic by the Tortoise Table Plant Database and should not be fed to any tort.

They make great ratatouille for human consumption though :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
My grandma had a huge vegetable garden and I'm already taking advantage of her squash plants for my Frankie. But she has an enormous amount of tomatoes and eggplant that I was curious if my tort could eat?
I would not advise you to feed a tort tomatoes, though I know that it's something they really do love. I have noticed this with my tort: if and when it finds that some tomatoe is available, it would leave anything else.

Maybe a bit every now and again for a treat is more than enough.