A few eggcelent questions

BadcatLinus

hello everyone ! I am a successful bearded dragon breeder and hatcher!
So tortoises are quite different!
I went a few days ago to a pet store and picked up a rescue gecko and oddly enough two sulcata eggs ! The mom and dad were both present and the woman giving away the eggs explained these were the only two she could rescue and that the rest got crushed . So after taking she agreed to hand em over to me. I am familiar with bearded dragon eggs and the red circle of life ! 42 eggs a clutch and all was well! But I don't see anything in these eggs ! The woman explained she didn't know anything, the shop was 80 Degrees and that she kept the eggs still in a container after taking them out of the nesting box. But that's it. So one egg is a dull redish orange tinge and the other I can see a membrane. She "said" they were a week old ... But I don't trust her. She didn't know what I meant when I asked if she kept orientation or looked to see inside for viability .. I have my hovabator all hooked up at 87-88 degrees and 45% humidity and every one is in their beds. I am attatching a photo from before I put this one in the incubator! Can anyone give me details on what they see?
Thank you all!
I also want to add that she buried them... For a reptile seller that wasn't too bright

image.jpeg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I don't breed sulcatas, but my leopard eggs usually take about 5 weeks before I can see anything. Best of luck with them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
hello everyone ! I am a successful bearded dragon breeder and hatcher!
So tortoises are quite different!
I went a few days ago to a pet store and picked up a rescue gecko and oddly enough two sulcata eggs ! The mom and dad were both present and the woman giving away the eggs explained these were the only two she could rescue and that the rest got crushed . So after taking she agreed to hand em over to me. I am familiar with bearded dragon eggs and the red circle of life ! 42 eggs a clutch and all was well! But I don't see anything in these eggs ! The woman explained she didn't know anything, the shop was 80 Degrees and that she kept the eggs still in a container after taking them out of the nesting box. But that's it. So one egg is a dull redish orange tinge and the other I can see a membrane. She "said" they were a week old ... But I don't trust her. She didn't know what I meant when I asked if she kept orientation or looked to see inside for viability .. I have my hovabator all hooked up at 87-88 degrees and 45% humidity and every one is in their beds. I am attatching a photo from before I put this one in the incubator! Can anyone give me details on what they see?
Thank you all!
I also want to add that she buried them... For a reptile seller that wasn't too bright

Hello and welcome.

Read this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

Don't worry about candling and triyng to figure out whats going on in there. Just incubate them. 45% humidity is way too low for sulcata eggs. Its all explained in the link.