Got A Few Odd Eggs...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is Daisy's 10th clutch and she threw some oddballs this time. Prior clutches have all been normal, consistently sized and well calcified. She waited longer than normal to start laying this year (Early March instead of early January.), but her first clutch was all normal and good. Normal interval is about 6 weeks, and we are at about 5 and a half weeks right now, but it rained yesterday.

Here she is doing the deed earlier today.
IMG_5641.jpeg

And here is the finished product after she went to bed and I dug them up tonight:
IMG_0989.JPG

Most of the eggs were 39-40 grams, but this one was 68 grams! It was huge! Twins maybe?
IMG_0991.JPG

As if that wasn't odd enough, I got two of these:
IMG_0994.JPG

Each of these two had these little extra calcium projections. I've never seen this before, and here I've got two. Close up:
IMG_0995.JPG

I put them in the vermiculite, and into the incubator they went. I set these these "special" eggs apart from the others so I can keep an eye on them and see what they do.:
IMG_0998.JPG

All the other eggs in this batch were very well formed, well calcified and consistent. Comments and observations welcome.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, will very interested in what comes of the odd balls. That one is huge. The two with horns LOL. Maybe a throw back from prehistoric times. Maybe they had horns back then LOL. Please keep us posted on what comes of them

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This is Daisy's 10th clutch and she threw some oddballs this time. Prior clutches have all been normal, consistently sized and well calcified. She waited longer than normal to start laying this year (Early March instead of early January.), but her first clutch was all normal and good. Normal interval is about 6 weeks, and we are at about 5 and a half weeks right now, but it rained yesterday.

Here she is doing the deed earlier today.
View attachment 170020

And here is the finished product after she went to bed and I dug them up tonight:
View attachment 170021

Most of the eggs were 39-40 grams, but this one was 68 grams! It was huge! Twins maybe?
View attachment 170022

As if that wasn't odd enough, I got two of these:
View attachment 170023

Each of these two had these little extra calcium projections. I've never seen this before, and here I've got two. Close up:
View attachment 170024

I put them in the vermiculite, and into the incubator they went. I set these these "special" eggs apart from the others so I can keep an eye on them and see what they do.:
View attachment 170025

All the other eggs in this batch were very well formed, well calcified and consistent. Comments and observations welcome.
How long do sully eggs take to incubate on average?
Will you be candling these 3 eggs to see whats going on?
Can you tell if the 2 horns are hollow or solid?

Intrigued to see what happens.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
This is so great. With optimism, can't wait to see what happens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How long do sully eggs take to incubate on average?
Will you be candling these 3 eggs to see whats going on?
Can you tell if the 2 horns are hollow or solid?

Intrigued to see what happens.

They usually hatch in about 90 days at 89-90F.

Yes, I suppose I will have to candle these ones, even though I usually don't mess with candling anymore…

I did not open them up, but the protrusions seem like solid egg shell material. I'm guessing the mechanism that deposits the shell, just worked a little over time that day. I looked it up and the process by which an egg makes its shell is fairly complex and amazing. Once they either hatch, or fail to hatch, I will open them up and check it out from the inside.

I really wanna know whats in the big one. If that baby is born huge, I just might have to keep it.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Poor Daisy, it must of hurt to lay the two eggs with the projections. :eek: Boy, that is one big egg; I bet it is twins. :)

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
It awesome to see your work! That big one stood out right away! Wow!!! Can't wait to see what happens!