A few concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

chell222

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
uk herts
Hi everyone ..I am michelle and our family purchased Flash the Horsfield tortoise a week ago ,
He /she doesn't eat much so we thought we should weight him , he is 76grams ..the person we got flash off said he is a 2010 hatchling so should be 3 years old... we are worried as he has lost 3g now weighs 73gram and all the internet posts I read I don't see any where the tortoise weights this low... also he eats very sparatic ... we are feeding dandelions , clover , spring greens , rocket , green, greens .
Also first few days he would walk back and forth climbing sides... hes settled down and half buries himself and sleeps from about 4pm - 7pm in his basking area , hes not really going to his water so we are bathing him every second day and really doesn't do much else apart from bask all day... we are quite happy he doesn't do much, as long as its normal . he has a basking and a uv daylight light on from 7am - 7pm ..the daylight light runs the length of his pen... which is a tortoise table not a vivarium .
any advise for us newbies would be welcome , thanks x

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! One important factor I don't see listed is what are the temps (down there at his level) and what are you taking them using?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Like Jacqui mentioned, temps. Too cold and they will bask a lot and too hot they will hide a lot. A infrared temp gun is one of the better items to use. The little puck shaped things pet stores usually sell are not very accurate.

Also, they need to be able to heat up to over 85 to properly digest their food. Be sure to also temp his basking spot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And please tell us what sort of UV bulb you are using too.

He is undersized for his age. There are lots of possible reasons for this.

chell222

5 Year Member
uk herts
Hi sorry he is sleeping under his basking lamp from 4pm- 7am not 7pm
his basking lamp is 31c /87f and the other side is set to 20c / about 68f .
we have a temp measurer in the ground but also we are using a heat infared gun ... the room gets no lower than 20c .

the uv light is a uvb my husband says lol .
I called the place I got him from this morning and they assured me his probably just settling in ... I wonder if they got his age wrong im going to measure him now .

chell222

5 Year Member
uk herts
He is 9mm head to tail ... this morning hes eaten 3 leaves ...that's a Improvement :)

Status
Not open for further replies.