A couple questions about UVB

Rexx Doopson

Hello. I'm just wondering if a schedule of 10 min of pure sunlight on weekdays and 30 min - 1 hour of sunlight on weekends would be a sufficient permanent UVB source for a baby Leo? Also, is it normal for the scales of the face to peel? Cause I saw one today on my Leo and I'm worried. He's been more tan. Am I overheating him? He seems to like the hot temps, basking a lot, but, as I said before, he's tan. His ears are also a little lighter that's the rest of his face too. But he's healthy and all. (Btw heat are 2 75w basking about 8 inches high + 60w CHE.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
The sunlight may be sufficient but I would feel much safer with a Mercury Vapor Bulb. Im not sure if anyone on here keeps there leos in the light in those increments, but i doubt it. As far as the skin peeling, a pic of what you mean may help. Are you soaking them every day or every other day? He may just be dehydrated. Post some pics of the enclosure and the tort so we can help you.

Rexx Doopson

There are pics of enclosure in thread light time, but the enclosure has been updated. It's getting pretty late here and the tort is sleeping, so pics will come strait tomorrow. Soakings everyday, and twice on weekends. Also, the CHE is only for night heat.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I would not think that that is enough time. Especially for a baby I would feel much better with the UVB light. Not to say that natural sunlight isn't great but I think he would need more than that amount of time per day. Hopefully some more experienced people will come along soon with the answer to your question.

Rexx Doopson

It's closed top for about 3 fourths. But I just wanna get your opinion on a non coiled cfl i have that's just sitting unused.

Rexx Doopson

Some people say its safe, others say not, but I need some UVB source until the arrival of a MVB

Rexx Doopson

anyway i've decided to horizontally mount the cfl (not coiled) with tinfoil around it for maximum uvb
- never mind. those are horrible. just going to up the sun time to 30 min each day and 1 hour on weekends. that be ok? 3 1/2 per week.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
That should be fine but still having a mvb would make me feel safer. Dont mess around with cfl.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
An mvb bulb, but NOT any coiled bulb.
You can't always guarantee sunshine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It has been my experience that 3 or 4 hours of good sunshine a week is enough. If I can get that amount of sunshine on my indoor tortoises, then I get by in the house with a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb.

Rexx Doopson

Ok. This is my final decision - put the enclosure with a half open top in front of an open window all day that receives sunlight for about 5-6 hours a day. The pics will come in an hour or so. My camera is horrible so gonna wait till I can borrow one from someone. But an update on his peeling skin - the scale fell off, and is too tiny to find, but where it fell leaves the same lighter patch that his ears are like. Will these grow back? IM FREAKIN OUT

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That will work possibly, if you take the screen out of the window. Also, it is not uncommon for a scale to come off. No big deal. They grow back.

Rexx Doopson

Thanks. But will it be ok to leave the screen on? Can UVB travel through it? + there's a little screen top that I'm using as a safety guard if my lamp falls. It's like any reptile tank/terrarium screen lid/cover. I'm reusing it from an old 20 gallon