A Couple Of Questions On Sulcata Shell

JoshGoldberg

Any local drug store. CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Kmart. Does anyone in your house wear contacts? They might already have some.
It mostly happens when she is eating, could it just be food? And today she was biting at a scale on her leg

Myroli

It mostly happens when she is eating, could it just be food? And today she was biting at a scale on her leg
When she's scratching at her eye does she have food in her mouth? Like a piece too big to fit in her mouth all at once? Because if so(and that's the only time she's doing it) then she's not rubbing at her eye she's trying to hold done the extra food with her foot to bite some off, at least that's what mine does

JoshGoldberg

When she's scratching at her eye does she have food in her mouth? Like a piece too big to fit in her mouth all at once? Because if so(and that's the only time she's doing it) then she's not rubbing at her eye she's trying to hold done the extra food with her foot to bite some off, at least that's what mine does
No but she does that too:D

JoshGoldberg

Any local drug store. CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Kmart. Does anyone in your house wear contacts? They might already have some.
Just a quick question on her shell, it isn't pyramiding in all the areas, some go up and some go down, however the brown line around her scutes is uniformly raised

JoshGoldberg

DSC_0536.JPG example of the raised scute. Also you can see the discoloration I was talking about, I got her like this but didn't think anything of it until yesterday

Myroli

Thank you :D and I must say it is adorable when they do that isn't it!
Yes!! And it confuses me a bit because I know from experience how hard he bites down!! (he bit me once when I was being dumb and hand fed him pumpkin puree)

JoshGoldberg

Yes!! And it confuses me a bit because I know from experience how hard he bites down!! (he bit me once when I was being dumb and hand fed him pumpkin puree)
HAHA! She has only bit me once and that was when my finger was green from grass stains :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The discoloration is normal growth. Nothing to worry about. The uniformly raised brown portion is from being kept too dry when it was first hatched. Most breeders still start this species wayyyyy too dry and this is one of the things it does.

JoshGoldberg

The discoloration is normal growth. Nothing to worry about. The uniformly raised brown portion is from being kept too dry when it was first hatched. Most breeders still start this species wayyyyy too dry and this is one of the things it does.
THANK YOU! But why is her shell inside the brown part lumpy and uneven?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
THANK YOU! But why is her shell inside the brown part lumpy and uneven?
Do you mean the innermost portion? I call that "the shield". That is what they are born with and all new growth radiates out from that. Yours look normal.

JoshGoldberg

Do you mean the innermost portion? I call that "the shield". That is what they are born with and all new growth radiates out from that. Yours look normal.
I'll try and get a pic, at the back of her shell her shields go up and down like)\/\/