5 months old sulcata tortoise pyramiding?

jonathantle

Location (City and/or State)
Balik Pulau
Hi, is my baby sulcata tortoise having some pyramiding?? When I bought Tsu (tortoise name Tsu) back, Tsu's shell already look like that, not as smooth as some photo I found on google. I usually feed Tsu , hibiscus leaves, bermuda grass and wheat grass. But Tsu usually shows no interest in Bermuda grass and only slight interest on wheat grass but love hibiscus leaves, so Tsu eat way more hibiscus leaves compare to those grass.IMG_20210227_182744.jpgIMG_20210215_122633.jpg

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hi, is my baby sulcata tortoise having some pyramiding?? When I bought Tsu (tortoise name Tsu) back, Tsu's shell already look like that, not as smooth as some photo I found on google. I usually feed Tsu , hibiscus leaves, bermuda grass and wheat grass. But Tsu usually shows no interest in Bermuda grass and only slight interest on wheat grass but love hibiscus leaves, so Tsu eat way more hibiscus leaves compare to those grass.View attachment 321330View attachment 321332
Welcome to the forum. Very, very cute tort.

jonathantle

Balik Pulau
Anyway, just to give more info, I live in Malaysia, the weather here are hot and humid. I have Tsu indoor now, with a Exo Terra Solar Glo, selfballasted mercury vapor bulb. And Tsu is right beside a window that will provide natural sunlight. I'm using cypress mulch as the bedding. And I read from this forum that I can spray the enclosure with water to keep it humid and that's what I do once everyday. I soak Tsu 4 days a week. And Tsu have a hideout made from wood I brought from IKEA haha. I put some wet sphagnum moss in the hideout, heard that it could help with the shell. That's about all. ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Anyway, just to give more info, I live in Malaysia, the weather here are hot and humid. I have Tsu indoor now, with a Exo Terra Solar Glo, selfballasted mercury vapor bulb. And Tsu is right beside a window that will provide natural sunlight. I'm using cypress mulch as the bedding. And I read from this forum that I can spray the enclosure with water to keep it humid and that's what I do once everyday. I soak Tsu 4 days a week. And Tsu have a hideout made from wood I brought from IKEA haha. I put some wet sphagnum moss in the hideout, heard that it could help with the shell. That's about all. ?
Hello and welcome. You'll want to remove the moss, as it is an impaction risk. You'll also want to get rid of the mercury vapor bulb, as those cause the pyramiding you are seeing and you don't need it.

Here is all the current and correct care info:

jonathantle

Balik Pulau
Hello and welcome. You'll want to remove the moss, as it is an impaction risk. You'll also want to get rid of the mercury vapor bulb, as those cause the pyramiding you are seeing and you don't need it.

I see, and here I thought mercury vapor bulb is best for them.....how I hope I get to your care sheet before getting Tsu. Got you, will remove the bulb right away. Will remove the moss too. Thanks a lot Tom !

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az

Your post train me well Tom every time I see a post on the hometown tortoise forum I end up correcting them and posting a link to the post I made copying your information each category in its own comment there's well over a hundred comments on it now in regards to all of those categories people absolutely love it indoor super grateful I give you all the credit and put your name as author over the whole post I'm sure it's saved quite a few babies by now this has been going on since last year ......?❤?