4x8 enclosure what would be happy in something that size?

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
So my older daughter is trying to make plans for when my torts out grow the enclosure I made. Right now I'm using it as two 4x4 but it can go up to 4x8 by taking out the center.
Are there any tortoises that would be happy in that size? Could something that size hold a trio or so?
None of this will happen any time soon but probably a year to 3 from now. Mine have some growing to do still before going outside. I just want to look into things long before hand and guide her the right way long before making plans for more tortes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's minimum for one adult Russian. The only tortoise I know of that possibly could live in that as a trio would be the Pancake tortoise. However, it would need high sides as they need rocks to climb on and wedge themselves into.
@Tom what you think?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So my older daughter is trying to make plans for when my torts out grow the enclosure I made. Right now I'm using it as two 4x4 but it can go up to 4x8 by taking out the center.
Are there any tortoises that would be happy in that size? Could something that size hold a trio or so?
None of this will happen any time soon but probably a year to 3 from now. Mine have some growing to do still before going outside. I just want to look into things long before hand and guide her the right way long before making plans for more tortes.
We had a member from NY that kept his breeding groups of Russians in that size. He was producing babies every year. A trio of any of the Testudo would be okay in that size over winter, and they could be in something larger outdoors in summer. Burmese stars would work for that too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We had a member from NY that kept his breeding groups of Russians in that size. He was producing babies every year. A trio of any of the Testudo would be okay in that size over winter, and they could be in something larger outdoors in summer. Burmese stars would work for that too.
Wow, how is this okay for a trio of Russians, yet the 4x8 is minimum for a single adult Russian? If that's the case, then most members with a 3 or 4 foot by 6 foot enclosure should be fine for a single Russian.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow, how is this okay for a trio of Russians, yet the 4x8 is minimum for a single adult Russian? If that's the case, then most members with a 3 or 4 foot by 6 foot enclosure should be fine for a single Russian.
They will survive in 4x2. 6x4 would be better. 4x8 is the minimum I am comfortable with, and this is temporary indoor housing for the colder months and sometimes night time. That 4x8 number was made up by me as a good guideline and its based on the size of commonly available construction materials. I wish people would focus on the word "minimum" and go even larger, but 4x8 is still relatively arbitrary.

Our guy in NY had 5 or 6 of them over wintering in 4x8 open tables in his basement. I would not consider that ideal, but he made it work, and had a back up plan if it did not work.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They will survive in 4x2. 6x4 would be better. 4x8 is the minimum I am comfortable with, and this is temporary indoor housing for the colder months and sometimes night time. That 4x8 number was made up by me as a good guideline and its based on the size of commonly available construction materials. I wish people would focus on the word "minimum" and go even larger, but 4x8 is still relatively arbitrary.

Our guy in NY had 5 or 6 of them over wintering in 4x8 open tables in his basement. I would not consider that ideal, but he made it work, and had a back up plan if it did not work.
So very not ideal, so why go against all the times you and others, me, recommended the minimum be a 4x8 for one, then tell someone it's fine to house 3? I can't imagine 3 or more in a 4x8 with multiple hides, water dishes and food spots. Specially when it is so stressed, that the minimum for an adult Russian is a 4x8.
Watching my own tortoises, I don't agree with a lot of the sizes that are recommended. Mine uses maybe half or less of the large spaces they have. However, better to have enough space then not enough. I do think the minimum of 4x8 for a Russian, watching my own, is a good start for one at least in the warm months. Winter, mine could use a lot less space as he is not very active. But a 4x8 for a trio, that's nuts!

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
I've seen kleinmanni's being kept successfully in a tank of that size.
I'm not familiar with them. I'll look them up.

Thank you @Tom and @wellington This is all good stuff to know. Our winters luckily are pretty short.

I haven't looked much into any other tortoise care yet. My enclosure is occupied atm. I can make it double the size if I go up pretty easily too. Depending how fast the leopard and sulcate grow I may end up doing just that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not familiar with them. I'll look them up.

Thank you @Tom and @wellington This is all good stuff to know. Our winters luckily are pretty short.

I haven't looked much into any other tortoise care yet. My enclosure is occupied atm. I can make it double the size if I go up pretty easily too. Depending how fast the leopard and sulcate grow I may end up doing just that.
By about 2 years for the sully and 3 for the leopard give or take a year or so, they should be able to live outside 24/7 with a heated shed or hide for cooler winter days.