Son in law ordering stuff tomorrow; needs to know: Kane mat size and wattage? RHP wattage?

mylittlecholla

Location (City and/or State)
Fillmore, California

For a 2X4 box? (He thinks this is big enough for Cholla at her small size; also thinking it would fit better in long narrow enclosure. Any comments?

For a 4X4 box?

Recommended brand or models for Kane mat and RHP?

Thank you, compadres.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of tortoise and how big is s/he? They have to have room to get off or out from under it, next too it but still be in the hide.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Also, he wants to know is a Kane mat an essential addition to the RHP essential in this climate? (rarely below 40's night or day). He's trying to keep the expenses under control; says Kane mats are quite pricey.

Merci beaucoup.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Get the 21" RHP and the 18x28 inch Kane mat. Yes, you need both. The RHP alone won't keep temps up in winter by itself. I've tried.

I'd make the box 4x4. This will make the inside roughly 40x40 and leave plenty of room for the tortoise to get off of and away from the heat sources. This will last your tortoise for 20 years or more. Better to do it right the first time and not have to do it again.

For a DT I'd make the door 10 inches wide and 8 inches tall.

To save money, at the expense of a little floor space, you can heat it with a mini radiant oil heater instead of a Kane mat/RHP combo. Mini oil heaters cost $35-50.

This is double doored 4x4. See the oil heater in back?
IMG_7258.JPG
IMG_7257.JPG

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Get the 21" RHP and the 18x28 inch Kane mat. Yes, you need both. The RHP alone won't keep temps up in winter by itself. I've tried.

I'd make the box 4x4. This will make the inside roughly 40x40 and leave plenty of room for the tortoise to get off of and away from the heat sources. This will last your tortoise for 20 years or more. Better to do it right the first time and not have to do it again.

For a DT I'd make the door 10 inches wide and 8 inches tall.

To save money, at the expense of a little floor space, you can heat it with a mini radiant oil heater instead of a Kane mat/RHP combo. Mini oil heaters cost $35-50.

This is double doored 4x4. See the oil heater in back?
View attachment 311029
View attachment 311030

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Thanks once again for the great instructions and pix. I'll pass 'em on to son-in-law. I was thinking the same things about the 4x4.

I hope I'll soon be able to stop constantly bothering you, but your advice about doorway dimensions sparked another question in my slow moving brain: how do you close up the house at night? I don't see little hinged doors on anyone's tort house photos. A sturdy sheet of plywood with a rock in front of it?

One more question, hopefully the last for a while: if you use the mini radiant oil heater, do you still use the RHP?
Is it RHP plus oil heater, like it's RHP plus Kane mat?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thanks once again for the great instructions and pix. I'll pass 'em on to son-in-law. I was thinking the same things about the 4x4.

I hope I'll soon be able to stop constantly bothering you, but your advice about doorway dimensions sparked another question in my slow moving brain: how do you close up the house at night? I don't see little hinged doors on anyone's tort house photos. A sturdy sheet of plywood with a rock in front of it?

One more question, hopefully the last for a while: if you use the mini radiant oil heater, do you still use the RHP?
Is it RHP plus oil heater, like it's RHP plus Kane mat?

✅ In one of @tom’s posts above he said this “ To save money, at the expense of a little floor space, you can heat it with a mini radiant oil heater instead of a Kane mat/RHP combo. Mini oil heaters cost $35-50.”

➡➡ So, if you use the mini radiator, thats all you need (no RHP no Kane matt).

On the hinged door. Some people use a hinge on goo and have the door open upwards, while others have the door swing downward and use it also as a ramp for your tort to use to crawl in & out. Depends on your design, etc.

Hope that helps.