4’x8’ enclosure ideas!

baldegale

im looking to build a couple 4’x8’ enclosures in the future, the problem is that weight is a concern, wanna build it as light as possible! was thinking PVC but a cost effective front has been the design issue so far.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Will they used indoors or outside? If indoors or hard surfaces outside you could put caster wheels underneath. If you used 1 by wood and then laminate the inside with the thinnest pvc. That might hold the price down.
I am just babbling I didn't do any research.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Try using greenhouse tents! They’re pretty tall, but they’re perfectly enclosed and ready to have heating hung from the top.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Nope. It will go outside, but it may be inside for a bit.
If you put plastic down you will have to make some drain holes or you will have a swimming pool. Can you use the ground you have and just build walls?

baldegale

Will they used indoors or outside? If indoors or hard surfaces outside you could put caster wheels underneath. If you used 1 by wood and then laminate the inside with the thinnest pvc. That might hold the price down.
I am just babbling I didn't do any research.
nooooot quite what i meant by sealed hahaha, i more meant closed chamber style. sealing i already have covered and its probably gonna be built out of just PVC so im not worried about waterproofness

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
I would make the base box, then build a pvc pipe frame above it. I would then drape a tarp over that, to make a green house style enclosure. Is this for babies? Also, Technocheese's suggestion would work, but you would have to drill holes for heat lamp cables and such. I would also go for some insulation.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
nooooot quite what i meant by sealed hahaha, i more meant closed chamber style. sealing i already have covered and its probably gonna be built out of just PVC so im not worried about waterproofness
Oh ok. Those greenhouses Technocheese talked about are nice.

baldegale

I would make the base box, then build a pvc pipe frame above it. I would then drape a tarp over that, to make a green house style enclosure. Is this for babies? Also, Technocheese's suggestion would work, but you would have to drill holes for heat lamp cables and such. I would also go for some insulation.
this is kinda what we have now but on a smaller scale (6’x3’) this will be for a yearling sulcata, and a sub adult redfoot (two separate enclosures) this is what theyre both in now (4 month old sulc) and also, two of the same enclosures.

Attachments

• 8E6915AD-7A8F-4D96-9745-BFEBD3B9354C.jpeg
    8E6915AD-7A8F-4D96-9745-BFEBD3B9354C.jpeg
    440 KB · Views: 35

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I like the effort. And it looks like it could be successful, too.
Keeping tortoises indoors can be challenging. Especially keeping them indoors in a larger enclosure.

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
this is kinda what we have now but on a smaller scale (6’x3’) this will be for a yearling sulcata, and a sub adult redfoot (two separate enclosures) this is what theyre both in now (4 month old sulc) and also, two of the same enclosures.
Very nice enclosure. Kinda what I have planned, i'm going to start making it this evening.

I like the effort. And it looks like it could be successful, too.
Keeping tortoises indoors can be challenging. Especially keeping them indoors in a larger enclosure.
Yeah, I can't wait till my tort can graze all day (or as much as he wants). What size would you grow them too before they are safe outside?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Very nice enclosure. Kinda what I have planned, i'm going to start making it this evening.

Yeah, I can't wait till my tort can graze all day (or as much as he wants). What size would you grow them too before they are safe outside?
Mine go outside as soon as the umbilical scar heals up. I've actually hatched two outdoors that have never even come inside.
You'd have to have no predators and a secure pen inside a secure yard with the perfect climate to do the same.
My situation, enclosure and my climate make this possible.
I don't like it sounding like I'm some sort of Redfoot expert.
Truth is, I'm very successful because I live where I live.
I admire the results that some of you have in less hospitable situations. And the work that you do to try to duplicate the environment.