3 toes not eating and seem to stay burrowed all day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riperoo

5 Year Member
I have had these guys about a week, they seem like they are healthy, but I really have not seen them eat anything other than a strawberry i gave them this morning. I am giving them a mix of fresh veggies and dry food. They also seem to stay burrowed about 80% of the day. Is this normal for the 3 toe? I do not have heat in there habitat as my hoouse is always between 70 and 75. I have read conflicting reports on the heat lamp, some say around 70 is perfect for a 3 toe and others say have a lamp to warm them. I do take them outside every day now that the weather is nice and they seem really active in there outside enclosure, which is a little warmer at the moment. Just wondering if it is normal for them to stay burrowed all day and not eat that much? Would they be more active with a little heat? Thanks in advance.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
It is normal for them to be shy and hide a lot when in a new place ;) A week is not long in the life of a turtle, lol.

One word - worms. My Three Toes eat very little greens, mushrooms and fruits but LOVE worms and slugs and fish.

Mine live outside, so no heat lamps. I wouldn't go too hot. 85 for a basking spot should be plenty.

It took Mika 3-4 weeks to feel comfortable enough to come out and start really roaming around. Mikhail hides a lot still.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My box turtle experience is limited, but here's what I know. I hope more experienced floks will correct me or add to it.

70 is fine as a background ambient temp, but they still need a basking spot to warm up. I make my box turtles basking spot about 95 onto a flat rock.

For food, try getting them to eat meaty stuff to start with. Many of them prefer it and you can mix in all the other stuff with it, once you get them eating something. I use occasional canned cat or dog food. I've had the best results with roaches, but you could use crickets, earthworms, rolly pollies, or other live stuff.

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't believe you are keeping them warm enough. I have mine inside in a large tort table in which the nighttime temps drop to about 70, so when I turn the basking light on in the morning they all are under the light the next time I look.
Then you are also not feeding them anything they recognize as food. They want live food, night crawlers, super worms, meal worms, crickets those are some you should offer to them. You can't get turtles in and expect them to eat something they don't recognize as food. So I would advise you to warm them up and offer live food and I'll bet they eat right away.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I agree ... warm them up and then give them a little time to acclimate. Build them an outside enclosure if at all possible. They do so much better outside. Good luck! :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I keep a heat emitter on one side of the vivarium 24/7 for the hatchlings and juvies that aren't outside yet. On the other side I have a long tube UVB light. Low light, high warm humidity, and lots of substrate to hide in...that's how I do it.

Riperoo

5 Year Member
Hey thanks all, haven't checked in for a few days, thanks for all the feedback, I am definitely getting them a basking lamp, and with regards to the food, I have just been feeding them what the previous owner has been feeding him for the last 4 years, which was store bought dry food, I have been trying to mix in some fresh veggies slowly, didn't want to shock them too much. I def plan on going for the live eventually, man, I remember my previous boxies practically dancing when the worms came out. I gave them alot of outside time the last few days, they seem really healthy and happy when out, but when they come in to the 70 degree house, they go right to digging in. I will keep working on it and keep everyone posted, again thanks for all the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.