3 month old sulcatas enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeEuGi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I just got my baby sulcata tortoise. i am just wondering what is a good starter enclosure?

i was thinking a storage tub? or a 20gallong long? eventually a 4x2 tortoise table will be made, and i will have an outside enclosure, i live in ohio, so summer time, its around 85-up to 99/100. but the winter... below 0 and snow.. so i am a little worried about the winter but for the 1st few years, he will be fine in my reptile room...

thanks for any help you can provide.

oh yea, would you all suggest a mvb for heat and uvb? i was thinking of getting one of those (powersun) and a blacklight night light, my house does drop down around 68. (wife loved it cold) and all my snakes have flexwatt 24 hrs. so i am confused on what to do for my sulcata?

well thanks again.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
A great bin to use can be found at Home Depot or Lowes - a black plastic cement mixing bin. Great size and tall enough sides to keep them in. Summertime temps sound good there, I let mine outside above 60 and sunny. You can use the bin in the winter. I actually kept mine on the dining room table one year. I used a mixture of dirt and sand inside.

Get a good light, I have a powersun 100 watt. Keep it on 10-12 hours a day. If you worry about cold at night, use a blacklight bulb in one area. I use two of them to warm my enclosure in the garage and it keeps in nice and warm during the winter months.

Good luck! :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you already have the animal, but dont have an enclosure ready?
start reading! and buying.. and read some more...
WELCOME!!!

DeEuGi

5 Year Member
Ohio
I have a tub, just wanted some ideas... I read the links you guys posted. Thanks alot!!

DeEuGi

5 Year Member
Ohio
I just went and got. Somw vines, cypress multch, 150w light for basking and a calcium bone... getting him set up, and I will be taking him outside a few times a week. So I did not get a uvb bulb. Will prolly pi k up a mvb later on in his life. Pics up when I get home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, Derek, the baby needs the MVB more now than he will later in his life. Once he gets to be, say, three years old, he's going to be big enough to live outside 24/7.

DeEuGi

5 Year Member
Ohio
emysemys said:
Actually, Derek, the baby needs the MVB more now than he will later in his life. Once he gets to be, say, three years old, he's going to be big enough to live outside 24/7.

looks like i need to get to the pet store tomorrow morning!!

DeEuGi

5 Year Member
Ohio
The basking is around 120, and the cool side is 78 or so. From what I read that is good? At night it drops down to 69...

He has ate for me as too!

DeEuGi

5 Year Member
Ohio
Everything seems to be going well. I want to make his tort table out of an old 4x2x2 enclosure I had one of my snakes in... I was thinking of just getting like a 9 inch wall on the front, where the doors were for the cage, ans i want to use wither cypress or eco earth, bit then again I want to plant stuff on it, so how could o do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.