2014 Rescue #14 (but I don't take water turtles!!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You're not going to believe the size of this girl. I'm not good at I.D.ing the different water species, so I'm only guessing that this is a yellow belly slider. She's the biggest slider I've ever seen!

2016 Rescue #14 a.jpg 2016 Rescue #14 b.jpg 2016 Rescue #14 c.jpg

She was picked up by a fellow who was driving by and saw her in the middle of a busy expressway that runs alongside the San Joaquin River here in Fresno. The actual river is about a half mile away from the expressway and down a steep cliff/bluff.

The guy said she was in the middle of the road and he moved her off to the river side of the road. She scrambled back to the middle of the road. So he moved her off to the opposite side. She scrambled back to the middle. So he called the zoo, and here she is. These turtles are not native here. The only native water turtle we have is the Actinemys marmorata. So it's good that he brought it to me. But I don't take water turtles, so it's BAD that he brought it to me. Now I have to keep her until I can amass a few more, then I'll give the guy with the 2 acre pond a call to come get them.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
she certainly is an impressive specimen.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yvonne - that's a cooter - Pseudemys not a slider - Trachemys. Really hard to tell exactly which one as they hybridize readily, but looks like a river cooter - Trachemys concinna. It definitely doesn't belong in California as a native! Nice sized female.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yvonne - that's a cooter - Pseudemys not a slider - Trachemys. Really hard to tell exactly which one as they hybridize readily, but looks like a river cooter - Trachemys concinna. It definitely doesn't belong in California as a native! Nice sized female.

Thanks, Mark. This makes the second one I've had turned in to me. I figured YB slider, but looked up river cooter and I guess that's what they are - Pseudemys concinna

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I wonder the guy with 2 acre of pond will do with all the water turtles you gave him? He just all put them in the pond and made United Nation Of Water Turtles there??

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida

Ditto, a river cooter. Not a slider. Who knows from where though...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
if I had a couple acres of land I would have a huge pond as well