pond turtle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I love turtles...but I really, really LOVE baby turtles.

This guy and his family were on vacation last summer and at the beach in Cayucos. The kids were running along at the edge of the water when the young daughter almost stepped on something alive. She picked it up and it was an Actinemys marmorata, but they didn't know that at the time. All they knew was that it WASN'T a sea turtle. So they brought the baby turtle home with them to Reedley, a small town to the south of me. They had the turtle for several months and were finally able to research what kind it was, finding out it is a protected turtle. The dad talked the girls into allowing him to find a rescue that takes in protected turtles, and he found me on the 'net.

He brought it to me just now, and I have to admit, baby turtles are just so darned cute. I just melt when I see them...

pond turtle 6-19-14.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How lucky for him that they found you. He is a cutie. I can see why you, me and I'm sure others think they are so adorable.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And they are so tame! You can come across a wild pond turtle that has never ever seen a human, and he's not afraid of you.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Wow, that's very interesting! Everything I've read, and my experiences with my group, are that they are quite skiddish, but I'd be lying to you if I said I have experienced them in the wild.

I do think they are one of the most beautiful turtles in the world though. Their marbled patterning is so amazing.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Cute. But I don't like too much the snake like tail

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am with you Yvonne....precious for sure. Hey, I went past Clovis on Thursday....I gave my Auntie a ride on a turn around to Sacramento on Thursday to pick up a couple of her Grand kids.....I thought of you when I say the Clovis sign :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was pretty sure I heard a couple of honks yesterday. I waved!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LOL....I am always so jealous of the GREEEEEENNNN all over there.....and the soil is awesome, here the earth is very hard and when ever a new plant or tree is planted I have to soak the ground for hours before, a "please live" dance, get on my knees and say a prayer...then water the heck out of it....and about 50% then will live...lol