Just found some turtles in my pond!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
diamondbp said:
The babies are without a doubt River Cooters cocinna....but that adult is a female Yellow Bellied slider scripta scripta. I'm pretty positive. Congrats on the find

I agree. The big female didn't seem to match up with those hatchlings. It's a tricky one, but the body shape (both plastron and carapace), nose, and carapace markings all point to Trachemys.

I would love to see shots of the sides of the head too, not that we need any to determine it isn't a Pseudemys. Maybe just to confirm which Trachemys it is. Have any?

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
I'm not sure if you read the original post I started the thread with but I stated the turtle disappeared one day maybe she left or was attacked by raccoons but I surely hope she left and found a nice new home. -Ben

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Right. Hopefully she is ok. I knew she was gone, but I wondered if those two were the only pics you had left. Hopefully she made it out ok. Do you live in their range?

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
I live on Long Island which is in New York and recently there have been reports of them seen and signs being put up that alert people to watch for turtles as they cross the road. I am not so sure about river cooters in the area but sadly people often times release animals when they are tired of owning them.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Just wondering but do you think someone released those babies in your pond? They are really cute.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
It is very likely someone may have released the babies into my pond but the adult yellow belly sliders have been being spotted throughout the island so I am assuming she may have been wild.
The river cooters may have been released into my pond but it seems odd because I am completely fenced in on half an acre of land.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
For whomever was interested in this setup I added another 150 gallon filter and a tubular heater to my current setup. Here is a pictureImageUploadedByTortForum1381630015.493092.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: