2010 South African Leopard Thread.

conservation

10 Year Member!
Everytime I read this thread I become jealous of all the South African Leopard owners!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
None of us has updated this thread since August. So I'll start. My two SA babies from Tom have really grown at different rates. At first I separated them, thinking maybe the smaller one was being bullied, but it stopped eating all together when it was by itself. So I put them back together. Here they are in their table this a.m. The table is too small already, after only 3 years:

11-28-12a.jpg

11-28-12d.jpg

11-28-12e.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Cool, my largest is just shy of 8 inches, so looks like they're keeping up with yours.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's quite interesting that those of us with two have a big and a small one. Mine are about the same size as yours, except my small one is smaller.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
emysemys said:
It's quite interesting that those of us with two have a big and a small one. Mine are about the same size as yours, except my small one is smaller.

My group shows the same thing....some are significantly smaller than others.

I'm thinking along the lines of sexual dimorphism. The ones that are larger of mine appear to be males.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, would that were the case!!! Nice to have a male/female pair.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
emysemys said:

If it happens to turn out that way, I'm telling everyone that I planned it that way on purpose! :D

So odd. Everyone says that males are rare for this subspecies, bu so far it seems like around two thirds of this batch is male. Must have been the incubation temps for 2010.

filbertjonathan

5 Year Member
ticothetort2 said:
Here's a few new pics of Tico. This weekend was really nice so he got to spend a lot of the weekend outside.

Interested in seeing how the olive oil experiment turns out.

Tico gets 2 soakings a day as well as many spray downs. He also spends a lot of time in his humid hide. It seems to be doing him good so far, his shell is smooth as far as I can tell.

He has gained almost 30 grams and is just under 80 grams. His SCL is just over 2.5"

035.jpg

020.jpg

075ep.jpg

059ep.jpg

194e.jpg

great pic,,
may i ask a question, what kind of tree in your first pic ?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think the same as well. My three largest are males.A quick update, Hrothgar is 11 1/2" scl and a little over 4kg.
Neal said:
emysemys said:

My group shows the same thing....some are significantly smaller than others.

I'm thinking along the lines of sexual dimorphism. The ones that are larger of mine appear to be males.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Tom said:
emysemys said:

If it happens to turn out that way, I'm telling everyone that I planned it that way on purpose! :D

So odd. Everyone says that males are rare for this subspecies, bu so far it seems like around two thirds of this batch is male. Must have been the incubation temps for 2010.

So, if this is the case (male/female pairing) When can we expect the next generation of SA Leopards? I so want one!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The breeder said 6-7 years, but this is under the dry routine and the extremely slow growth that is encountered raising them outside. Another person told me they got some at 7-8 years.

I suspect these babies will reproduce sooner than that based on their growth rates and current behavior at two years old. It will really be a question of how long it takes the females to reach breeding size. A few of the males of the group are ready NOW.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
...so, looks like I'll have a little time for my little one to grow a bit more and moved to an outdoor enclosure befor I have to build another indoor enclosure!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No. The females are much too small. Its just that three of my bigger males are mounting and trying to breed already at only two years old. Neal posted one of his doing it and Yagyujubei has at least two that have been trying. Thats why I said this will be dependent on when the females are ready. I would expect at least another two or three years, but that is just a guess. It will happen when it happens.