2010 South African Leopard Thread.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Such beautiful babies, I would love to get one. Maybe this summer...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They are looking great Chris and Devon. They are super smooth and healthy looking.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Devon, your's are great looking too. Now I feel the urge to get one! Too bad I live in such a cold climate.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Some pic's of Asher
Asher005-1.jpg

Asher006-1.jpg

Asher007-1.jpg

Asher002.jpg

Heres Katie
Asher009-1.jpg

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
WOW, everyone's little leps are looking so good. It's awesome seeing how different all of their shells are! I might have to start saving for later this year...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tico looks fantastic! I have two that are 150 grams and my tiniest is now 88 grams. Tico is right up there with my biggest ones and his shell just looks great. I'm sooooo happy for you. And for the tortoise world. We obviously know how to grow a smooth leopard now!!! For those of us that have been keeping leopards for the last 20 years, this is MONUMENTAL! Thank all of you so much for giving me this tremendous gift.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Tica looks super! I am always amazed and just how symetrical his markings are. Wow!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is there new pen. I just made it quickly by moving some blocks around. That's part of the big sulcata pen behind them. I intend to add a whole bunch of hiding spots and obstacles, but they burrow down into the weeds so well that I already have trouble finding them all.

rmmzwy.jpg

2mhh3it.jpg

2nk74wk.jpg

nq49p3.jpg

4v5px5.jpg

b51v0j.jpg

This little one thinks he's a mountain climber.
xygk4.jpg

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Tom said:

This one looks he has an attitude, go ahead and send him my way. I'll be sure to keep him in line :p

They look great though. I'd be afraid too if I put taller plants in there. I did that with Thor in a 4x6 pen and sometimes it took me 10 minutes to find him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The first 10 or so are fairly easy to find, but I have to search for a while to find the last few. They dig in and make little shelters at the bases of all those weeds and grass. They hide amazingly well down there and its surprisingly cool and humid. I think I'll drop a probe in one of their little cubby holes today and see what the temps and humidity are. Fun stuff.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Here's the babies growth chart, current today and reading from their first weigh-in last June, weights are in grams. You can see where Octavia and Mr.T got a bit stressed about the new babies arrival. Octavia is the undisputed champion, clocking in today at 293g and 10.3cm SCL and not even a year old yet.

GrowthChart06032011.png

-Devon

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I made a humid hide out of a burger basket last fall:

humidhide-3.jpg

humidhide-2.jpg

The last couple of mornings the hide was pushed to a new spot in the habitat each morning. Last night one of the babies was not in the hide, so I put him in front of the door and tried to push him inside. Well they've had an overnight growth spurt! Guess what? They don't fit in the door anymore!

2010SAleopards-5.jpg

Here's their picture in my Tupperware bowl last September, with this morning's picture in the same bowl. I'll try to place the pictures side-by-side:

leopardbabies-29-29-10.jpg
2010SAleopards-3.jpg

Tom: Are you sure these aren't sulcatas?