2 questions (soaking & wild caught)

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
One more question~

Its been raining like cats and dogs this week. It has rained every single day without failing. On a week such as this, should I still soak him? Ive gotten home from work on more than one occasion where he's not under his hide and he looks like he's just enjoying the rainfall, ive also made note that he only does this when its not pouring, but rather just light rain, not exactly sprinkling either, a little heavier but not pouring rain.

Can I over soak him?
Make sure whatever Burrows he has dug do not flood. My Russian tortoise loves it when I turn on the sprinkler for a while. However the weather must be warm. If it's getting cold your really don't want your tortoise out in the rain. Cold and wet is not a good combination.

AnimalLady

I don't worry about the soaking water getting cold. Unless your house temperature is way, way below 70F degrees, the water is only going to get as cold as your room temperature is. Even when soaking babies, I don't ever re-warm the water.

This is good to know! I'm probably going to soak him outside so it can stay a bit warmer than my house even. I'm doing our first soak on Saturday! Thank you!

AnimalLady

Make sure whatever Burrows he has dug do not flood. My Russian tortoise loves it when I turn on the sprinkler for a while. However the weather must be warm. If it's getting cold your really don't want your tortoise out in the rain. Cold and wet is not a good combination.

No flooding, I made sure to put him on higher ground too. Its still in the 90's here daily! So no cold yet, thank goodness. Thank you!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
This is good to know! I'm doing our first soak on Saturday!
AnimalLady, bust loose and soak Friday evening if you can. It will not hurt Harriet and you can then follow up with a Saturday or Sunday soaking. From then you can hopefully start a regular soaking program of every-other-day or whatever suits you.
Again dear, more soaking is good, less soaking not so much. Have a great weekend, keep reading threads here, and always ask questions. Once you get the feeding and soaking regular, we, (us and you) will focus on Harriet's habit.
And don't forget to brag about and show off Harriet to your friends that aren't as fortunate as you.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
I don't worry about the soaking water getting cold. Unless your house temperature is way, way below 70F degrees, the water is only going to get as cold as your room temperature is. Even when soaking babies, I don't ever re-warm the water.
Thank you for posting this, Yvonne. I spent considerable time running around the last two days trying to keep the water from going cool lol. I will take this advice and relax a bit!

AnimalLady

AnimalLady, bust loose and soak Friday evening if you can. It will not hurt Harriet and you can then follow up with a Saturday or Sunday soaking. From then you can hopefully start a regular soaking program of every-other-day or whatever suits you.
Again dear, more soaking is good, less soaking not so much. Have a great weekend, keep reading threads here, and always ask questions. Once you get the feeding and soaking regular, we, (us and you) will focus on Harriet's habit.
And don't forget to brag about and show off Harriet to your friends that aren't as fortunate as you.

Harriet is the other ladys tort. :p

Mines name is MacGyver and he lives up to the name! :D

I need to find something to soak him in... I was debating putting him in a pot.. thats all i got with opaque sides. Hm.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Harriet is the other ladys tort. :p

Mines name is MacGyver and he lives up to the name! :D

I need to find something to soak him in... I was debating putting him in a pot.. thats all i got with opaque sides. Hm.
Soaking in a pot of warm water makes me think of "cooking". Maybe swing by Goodwill Industries and check for something functional.

AnimalLady

Soaking in a pot of warm water makes me think of "cooking". Maybe swing by Goodwill Industries and check for something functional.

Exactly why I was debating, lol.

I'll figure something out, i'm probably going to go buy one of those plastic shoe box things. Lol, i wouldnt do it, but it does make me chuckle :D

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
I was just cruising the dollar store the other day, looking for this exact thing. They had a really big selection of tubs, etc. I didn't end up getting one there because unfortunately the ones I wanted were cracked, but you might have more luck!

AnimalLady

Thank you!
I was just cruising the dollar store the other day, looking for this exact thing. They had a really big selection of tubs, etc. I didn't end up getting one there because unfortunately the ones I wanted were cracked, but you might have more luck!

Thank you!