15 free eastern box hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

krb1093

5 Year Member
HI, not sure if I'm doing this right, but I have 2 nests of eastern box turtle hatchings. 8 in one nest and 7 from another. We were fortunate two find two mommy's making nests on our trails!!!! They are a protected species here in MI. They do recommend protecting the nests which we did with enclosures. I've checked and worried about these babies for 115 days!!!!! When I went out to check sure enough I found a Couple in each nest and dug out the others. Anyway long story short I've called nature centers and they won't take them because they're protected here. I even asked OK so u want me to just let them go knowing they're NOT gonna survive???? They said unfortunately Yes!!!! Sorry I don't think so!!!!!! I will care for them if need be but would prefer someone with more time. If I can add pics I'll even show a pic of a snake in one of the cages waiting!!!! The mortality rate on the nest alone in Mi is 90-95% JUST THE NEST!!!!! THEN I'm sure it's 98-99% overall!!!!! Even if u know of a place that will take them in. You'd think with them being protected places would care!!!! We seen 30-40 of them (adult) last year. This year only the two mama's making the nests. The babies will not survive our winter and I WILL NOT release them knowing they are all gonna die!20140923_141122.jpg20140923_133442.jpg

Attachments

• 20140923_133847.jpg
    20140923_133847.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 20140923_141421.jpg
    20140923_141421.jpg
    635.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 20140923_142324.jpg
    20140923_142324.jpg
    661.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 20140923_213013.jpg
    20140923_213013.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 190

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Please do everything you can to break yourself out of the mentality that you need to protect animals from the wild. I have dealt with so, so many people that think they need to take hatchling turtles out of the wild because they MIGHT die. It's nature. Humans screw up nature enough in every way shape or form they can, which is exactly what you have done here. Turtles lay large clutches specifically for the reason the mortality rate is high. It's natural to a degree; humans have of course made the mortality rate higher in a lot of cases, but it's still natures way.
Let the hatchlings go. Please don't convince yourself you're helping out a protected species at all by taking their offspring from the wild. In fact, you're not only doing a disservice to the species, you're breaking the law.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I totally agree with the above. You should have left them alone. Sorry, but they have survived many years without us humans. They become endangered, becuase of humans, no other reason except humans.
I am moving this to the adoption section, seeing you aren't selling them. Don't know,if it's too late to put them back, but if it's not, that's what you should do.

krb1093

5 Year Member
I totally agree with the above. You should have left them alone. Sorry, but they have survived many years without us humans. They become endangered, becuase of humans, no other reason except humans.
I am moving this to the adoption section, seeing you aren't selling them. Don't know,if it's too late to put them back, but if it's not, that's what you should do.
I've had them about two weeks. Getting in the 30's here. The nature centers have told me they won't survive. They distilleries sister right thing protecting the nests because one would've been lucky to survive but again more than likely won't survive the winter

krb1093

5 Year Member
I've had them about two weeks. Getting in the 30's here. The nature centers have told me they won't survive. They distilleries sister right thing protecting the nests because one would've been lucky to survive but again more than likely won't survive the winter
Auto correct... they did tell me I did the ^

krb1093

5 Year Member
Why would they not survive the winter? Their make up is too be able to survive the Michigan weather.
That's why their mortality rate is 98-99% here and they're protected. Predators and our winters

krb1093

5 Year Member
I think it's probably more that we have taken over their habitats than the winters. They have survived our winters in the past, why not now?
Again that's why they are protected, they don't dig far enough underground. Most freeze to death.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My point is at one point in history they did fine. Nowadays there are things being built everywhere and roadways everywhere too. If it wasn't for that they would be fine. Many many years ago this area had bad winters too and they weren't threatened then.

krb1093

5 Year Member
Alright, thanks for the help. I spoke with the nature center's. They will not survive the winter is what they said ! I will be calling a few more places and zoos tomorrow to give these babies a chance!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's too late now to do anything different then what you are trying to do. In the future it would be best to leave them. It's not the winters, your winters have been mild for some years now compared to when I was a kid and there were many of them and not endangered. It's the human invasion of their territory and the fact that the DDT they used years ago almost wiped out a lot of species that in the last few years are finally making a come back

krb1093

5 Year Member
We can't it is unlawful and breaks forum rules . We are not aloud to do or suggest anything unlawful . Sorry
I understand, I will be making more calls to nature centers and zoos tomorrow

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
okay KRB taking an animal out of the wild is just not right, yes a large amount of baby turtles die but thats just life. the ones that do survive will breed and increase the wild population. if you take them out of the wild more of the babies will survive but thats just not natural and its just plain immoral taking something out of its natural environment. please release the turtles.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, again, what's done is done. She has had them for two weeks now, she can not release them this late in the game.
If you have adoption suggestions, then post them, otherwise I think the point has been said enough.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm sure they know this now . So please just stop repeating the something over and over . She has them now indoors . So the right thing to do now is to keep them alive till spring . Keep them away from any captive bred tortoise you may have . Keep them healthy and let them go in the spring . If I'm wrong for saying this then sorry . But I completely understand why they took them from the wild . They where just trying to keep them safe . Was it wrong yes people make mistakes .

krb1093

5 Year Member
Thanks, Yes Please any suggestions would be great.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Go to the box turtle section and read up . There's alot of good information .

Status
Not open for further replies.