15 free eastern box hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
How's the box turtles doing? The weather in MI has been horrendous!!!!! Negatives everyday!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Yeah! ! !

Love to see the update! ! !

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
Taking care of them and releasing them in a safe place in the spring is what I would do. I am not sure if it is legal to re-release turtles, or not.

krb1093

5 Year Member
It's not letting me post pics!saying I don't have permission to perform this action! I'LL keep trying

krb1093

5 Year Member
Any recommendations on how to get the pics to go through?

Sanchez

Chicago,IL
Thanks for everyone's responses. All are well and doing great. At this point I think I will just release them in the spring. Highs have only been low 50's and 30's at night. Michigan won't allow shipping of eastern or I'd LOVE to send them to loving homes. We have 60 acres and last year eastern seemed to be doing good. This year only seen the two. I think last winter killed A LOT!!!!! WE have snappers and painted turtles like crazy. They use our sandy trails to lay their eggs. At times in the late spring / summer I'm taking 5-6 babies a day to the lake or swampy areas across the street. How can those two breeds thrive in large numbers but not eastern other than laying more eggs than eastern?
So did you find these on/near your own property? Let them go in the spring if you did.

Painted and Snappers are pretty adaptable, that's one of the reasons. Box turtles are way more likely to be on a road than a painted or snapper, which is a big part of their population decline. But box turtles are elusive; they hide, they burrow, etc. Like with lots of wildlife, just because you don't see them it doesn't mean they aren't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.