1000 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bangkok
... not at once, don't worry!

But I sure have a lot of questions, which is why i registered.
I'm just thinking of getting a tortoise, but I have yet to learn a lot before I finally get one. I loved tortoises since I was a little kid (I collected all sorts of tortoise figures :D) and it has been my favorite animal for a long time (besides dogs). I never thought of getting one myself though. But I'm also allergic to most animals so a tortoise might be a great pet for me.

You can call me Mina and feel free to correct or give me your opinion about my ideas of getting a tortoise. If It turns out I can't give a tortoise what it needs to live happily, I won't get one.

Now I am thinking about what breed would be the best for me. I live in Thailand (but I'm german) and the weather is very warm and humid all the year round. Star Indian Tortoises are quite common and cheap, but I don't like them that much. I really like hermann's tortoises but I am not sure if it's good to keep them in this climate.
I also live in a studio-apartment (with a balcony), so I'm not even sure if I could keep any kind of tortoise either inside or on the balcony. Although I'm moving within the next year to a one-bedroom apartment with bigger balcony.

So, before I go on too long I better go on and read through the threads and/or post a thread myself. I'm sure I'll find some (most?) answers in the forum but any tips are appreciated. :D

Mina :)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Hi Mina, Lucky you, I love Thailand. You've got the perfect climate for a lot of the tropical/desert species. Depending on how much room you can spare on your patio, it might work. A yard would be better , of course.I believe there are other Thai members here who could probably give you great advice. Good luck.

Also, there is a "tortoise village" near KhonKaen, about 450km north of you that I think you would be interested in. I guess they have buses from BKK.

Appreciating Local Traditions
Tortoise Village The brownish yellow shelled land tortoises, called Tao Phek by the locals, always roam in the vil-lage. The villagers keep the large number of tortoises as their communal pets. They are often seen scavenging for food on the local roads. To get there from Khon Kaen city, take Highway 12 (Khon Kaen Chum Phae) for 10 Km, then turn left to Highway 2062 (Khon Kaen-Mancha Khiri) for an-other 44 Km. The entrance to the tortoise village, easily noticeable with two tortoise models on the roadside opposite Wat Si Sumang, is on the left at Ban Kok, 2 Km before reaching Amphoe Mancha Khiri. Turn left through Ban Kok, the tortoise village is 50 m away. Home stay accommodation is available. For further information, call 0 7222 7859, 08 9574 3480.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Hello yagyujubei!

Wow, thanks for the Information. I've never heard of the tortoise village but it sounds like it's worth a weekendtrip. So cool. :) Thank you, I'm going to look for more information about that.

yagyujubei said:
I believe there are other Thai members here who could probably give you great advice. Good luck.

There are? Really? Amazing! If you know any by nickname, can you please let me know? I'd love to talk with them.
I tried to find more specific information in Thai-Forums... but I'm not perfect in the language so it takes a long time. Haha.

This Forum seems to be more international than I thought. :) Great.

Mina

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
@yagyujubei

Ok, I used the search function and found two members from Thailand. I'm really amazed. :) Thank you so much for the information, I hope they'll be able to tell me some specific things that relate to the Thai climate. This forum is so helpful.

@all
Thank you for the welcomings. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.