Which tortoise might be suitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bangkok
Hi Everyone :)

I just registered here as I am thinking about getting a tortoise, since I'm allergic to most animals and I loved tortoises since I was a little kid.
Now I am just researching the facts first, but I am really not sure which breed I could get.

My situation: I live in Bangkok, Thailand. It's hot and/or humid all year round (we have a very humid and hot rainy season, a very hot season and a "cold" season... which isn't really cold, but nice and warm). I live in an apartment with balcony, so the option could be either to keep the tortoise on the balcony or inside. Since I don't have too much space right now, it definitely has to be a small tortoise breed.

Indian Star Tortoises are the most common smaller pet tortoises here and they are fairly cheap. I like them but I've seen pictures of many adults with pyramiding... is that "normal" in this particular breed or can it be avoided? It doesn't look pretty to me. Generally, I prefer the "plainer" european tortoises.

I really like the hermann's tortoise and I know they sell it here. But I'm not sure whether I could keep it here correctly. Is it possible to keep a hermann's in a quite hot and humid area? Can it be too hot/humid for a hermann's? Maybe someone in Florida or other warm regions could give me their opinion on that. And do they have to hibernate if they live in a all-year hot region?
The food could also be an issue (no dandelions here, but other asian greens), but I'll research that first.

Based on my information, could you give me some suggestions? :) Also, what's the difference between Star Indians and Hermman's personality? I read Hermann's are more "outgoing", correct me If i'm wrong.

Thank you in advance,
Mina

Radiated Tortoise

5 Year Member
I would get a radiated tortoise, very beautiful and when they grow up they dont have those huge bumps on their back. They like the humidity more than some other species. They are also wonderful animals.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Thanks for the suggestion. Radiated Tortoises are really pretty, but they get the double size of stars/hermans, don't they? I'm not sure If I could provide enough space for an adult radiated tortoise. But they are cute!

I still tend to prefer the Herman's (I don't know why. Maybe it's because I've seen others keeping them and wanted to have one too). Anyone here owning herman's that can approve/disapprove? :)

The average Temperature in Bangkok all year round tends to be between 25 (77) and 32 (90) Degrees, in the two hottest months up to 40 (104) Degrees - not everyday, but some days. The coldest temperatures would be around 18 (64), also not so often that it gets that cold. Humidity is between 55% and 85% I think. Not sure about that.
My room is air conditioned and always between 25 (77) and 27 (80) Degrees. :D Humidity: No idea.

Any suggestions/opinions are appreciated. :)
Mina

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mina:

Welcome to the forum!!

Can you find the Hermann's tortoises for sale there? Maybe you can ask on of the sellers if they would put you in touch with someone else who has bought a Hermann's in your area.

I don't know anything about the Hermann's tortoises, but they sure are pretty, aren't they? Hopefully someone who has more knowledge will come along and answer your questions.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
emysemys said:
Can you find the Hermann's tortoises for sale there? Maybe you can ask on of the sellers if they would put you in touch with someone else who has bought a Hermann's in your area.

Thanks for the tip! Actually, I have just found out that this forum also has its Thai members and I'm hoping they can give me some advice. :) This Forum is amazing. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think a hermanns would work fine for you. What I don't know is how well they would do with no seasons. I'm hoping someone with some real hermanns experience wil come on and tell us all. You could always use a small fridge for "winter" hibernation. Indoors, I think your temps would be good. Outdoors, you'd have to watch those highs and make sure they ALWAYS had some shade. At least a few hours of sun a week should be enough.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Hi Everyone,

I dont know if anyone's interested, but I thought I'd let you go that I will defiantly go with a Greek Tortoise (Graeca) now.
Apparently they don't really sell Herman's in Thailand (or very rarely) but they do sell Graeca's in Seasons. Since it's not the
Graeca Season now I'll have to wait a few months until I can buy one. At least it'll give me some time to thoroughly learn anything I can about tortoises and prepare its arrival. :)
I bought some flower/veggie seeds and trying to make them grow. Hihi.
I'm still worrying about the humidity though.

Mina

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I am glad you found a tortoise that works with your situation. Very exciting! Post lots of pics when you get it:D

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Thank you! I will! I'm very excited, I haven't had a pet in a while and I can't wait to take care of it. :)
But I have to wait to up to 5 months (I hope I'll find one earlier, but "Greek Tortoise Season" seems to be in July, August...).
Once I got my little friend I will post a lot of pictures... :D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Sky2Mina said:
Hi Everyone,

I dont know if anyone's interested, but I thought I'd let you go that I will defiantly go with a Greek Tortoise (Graeca) now.
Apparently they don't really sell Herman's in Thailand (or very rarely) but they do sell Graeca's in Seasons. Since it's not the
Graeca Season now I'll have to wait a few months until I can buy one. At least it'll give me some time to thoroughly learn anything I can about tortoises and prepare its arrival. :)
I bought some flower/veggie seeds and trying to make them grow. Hihi.
I'm still worrying about the humidity though.

Mina

Testudo graeca has very similar care to Testudo hermanii, so that's a pretty good choice.

Probably will never hibernate, due to Thailand's climate, but that's no big deal, as hibernation in a warm part of the world is entirely optional (my 1st tortoise, an Eastern Hermann's, lived as a pet of my grandfather - and later mine - for approx. 50 years w/o hibernating and stayed perfectly healthy).

I'd suggest making your balcony your tortoise's home, so it can get sun...just make sure it can always get into shade when it needs it, has access to fresh water and green, leafy vegetables/freshly picked weeds and can't fall off.

Status
Not open for further replies.