100 pound 26" guy with a new owner...

brokerheather

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix AZ
I'm not exactly a "new owner", but it's been a few years and I've never owned one larger than 60 pounds. I'm wondering a few things... a- is a 27'x20' enclosure large enough? How big should his sleeping den be? How big and what type of heater should I be using? I need to plant immediately, I live in Phoenix. I just bought a Northern tortoise seed mix, hoping it will grow in this cold we currently have. I want to build for his full size, which I am estimating at 36" 150-200 pounds. He is 15.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am assuming your talking about a sulcata? Take a look at member Toms thread about his night boxes for his cold CA nights

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Heather:

If your sulcata is 100lbs, then the size yard you've described isn't big enough. My Dudley (110lbs) lives in a yard appx. 40' x 65', and he keeps the grass mowed down quite well. Any smaller and he would be eating it down to the roots. He uses the whole yard in his wanderings.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Heather,and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
Photos of your new Sulcata would be appreciated.
I love looking at sulcatas.

brokerheather

Phoenix AZ
Hi Heather:

If your sulcata is 100lbs, then the size yard you've described isn't big enough. My Dudley (110lbs) lives in a yard appx. 40' x 65', and he keeps the grass mowed down quite well. Any smaller and he would be eating it down to the roots. He uses the whole yard in his wanderings.
I plan to allow him to graze the whole yard, although I do have dogs and I want to have a dedicated enclosure space for him that is smaller. This will allow me to keep him safe and dogs from eating his poop and vice versa. My backyard is about 4 times the size of the enclosure size I'm talking about. He has been living in about 1/3 of the space, so this will be a BIG upgrade for him. I used to have a 60 lb'er so I'm guessing his weight atm at 100 pounds.

Attachments

• sammy.jpg
    sammy.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 17