1 year old Hermann Tortoise - Unresponsive, shut eyes (No blood, No infections, etc.)

Uli

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
I got my Hermann Tortoise, his name is “Minph”nearly a year ago, he was two months old when I received him. I have done all that I can for him, he was moving around this morning, then later in his water pond. (Which is not too deep) after seeing him laying there for an hour or so, I got concerned and thought he somehow drowned, but after picking him up he opened his mouth and yawned. I tickled his back feet and he started to move, keep in mind his eyes are shut through this whole thing and still are. As far as I tell there is no swolleness and little to no sunken in eyes. He is now unresponsive to touch and I’m worried but I have faith he’ll be okay. I’ve soaked him in warm water, had tried to put food in front of him, sadly still no response. Any tips for the little guy?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tell us about the enclosure and the temps. Basking temp, all over temps, night temps, humidity, substrate, diet and anything else you can think of.
Until then keep him in 85F degree temps day and night with a 95-100 basking spot available.
Give warm water soaks twice a day and add carrot baby food and pedialyte to the soak water.

Uli

Nevada
Tell us about the enclosure and the temps. Basking temp, all over temps, night temps, humidity, substrate, diet and anything else you can think of.
Until then keep him in 85F degree temps day and night with a 95-100 basking spot available.
Give warm water soaks twice a day and add carrot baby food and pedialyte to the soak water.
I have an indoor, fairly big “Tortoise House” with water, heat lamp (always set to 85 - 90 degrees) basking rocks, den. Night temp is 68 - 72 degrees, the humidity is 45% indoors, wood chips for the substrate from “Zoo Med” for reptiles, the diet is Red chard, lettuce, and Roman lettuce, and other leafy greens, with the occasional slice of cucumber. He refuses to eat carrots of any kind.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not now while he seems ill but normally the day temp should be, for your species, a variant of 75 to 80.
The carrot I mentioned is pureed baby food to help get some nutrients in him and to help with closed eyes and hopefully get him well.

Uli

Nevada
Not now while he seems ill but normally the day temp should be, for your species, a variant of 75 to 80.
The carrot I mentioned is pureed baby food to help get some nutrients in him and to help with closed eyes and hopefully get him well.
Thank you so much

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you think he may have inhaled water? Place him on a flat surface with a bit of kitchen paper towel folded up under his tail end, so his head is lower than his tail and just leave him there to help drain any fluid out of his lungs.