Young Russian Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Speedmister

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi,

My Russian Tortoise is four years old. We're pretty sure he is a boy. I have noticed that often after he excretes, a slightly gory, liver coloured faeces-shaped thing comes out of his tail and shoots back in. Is he 'flashing'? It looks to me like he does it by accident because it only comes out after he's been to the toilet.

Is this definitely flashing and nothing to worry about?

He seems very young, so is it possible he's doing it by accident? He shoots it back in as quickly as it came, so does not seem like he's really making an effort.

Are there any other distinct signs male tortoises could exhibit (e.g personality changes)?

Could it be prolapse? He's definitely not in pain.

I would appreciate some confirmations!

Thanks

I would appreciate it if someone could reply, because he's just done it again!

Thanks

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
As long as he is retracting his organ with no trouble there is nothing to be concerned about. He's definitely not doing so by accident! It's a very common occurance among male Testudo species, especially Russians and Hermann's. Signs of sexual maturity in male Russians is usually aggressive behavior when confronted with another tortoise, usually, but not always, of the same species. If there are no other tortoises that he may come in contact with there is a chance that his aggression may be focused toward another animal, a person's foot (or hand) or an inanimate object such as a rock or toy. It shouldn't be considered harmful aggression, but instead as territorial aggression.

How big is he (straight line carapace length)?

The Speedmister

5 Year Member
UK
Hi,

He's 15 cm, 320 grams, very healthy and four years old. He's very gentle and sweet. However, once he went running round and biting my toes - he wouldn't stop it for about half an hour. Could that be a sign?

Sorry, but what kind of aggression? Biting or just smashing into things?

The only reason I was wondering was because he is so young - just turned four!

Thanks for your help!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
At four they can be sexually mature so I would not be worried as long as he retracts it, then there should be no problems. I recently loaned my male russian to a friend for a mating project and he told me that he became super territorial and started biting his shoes whenever he went out there, something he had never done at my house and still does not do so in his case it may have been because he was near a sexually mature female. They can often be aggressive towards other tortoises and often people, nothing really to worry about though as long as he does not damage anything or one.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"Sorry, but what kind of aggression? Biting or just smashing into things?"

Male Russian aggression consists of Biting and ramming combined.

"The only reason I was wondering was because he is so young - just turned four!"

Age has less to do with sexual maturity than does size. At 15cm, your male is most definitely mature breeding size (and a good sized male Russian if that is a straightline measurement).

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
:) We have two torts that every time we handle them, their organs come out and excete transparent liquid, I know what that liquid is, yuk!!!!
:D:D:D

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
At least something is glad to see me, bless :D
It reminds me of a leach :D:D:D

Every time I say I'm gonna be a Mum at work, no one ever says "Are you pregnant"?
They just ask what animal has or going to have babies....

They think I'm mad, I am always chatting away at some sort of reptile or animal...

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
bikerchicspain said:
At least something is glad to see me, bless :D
It reminds me of a leach :D:D:D

Every time I say I'm gonna be a Mum at work, no one ever says "Are you pregnant"?
They just ask what animal has or going to have babies....

They think I'm mad, I am always chatting away at some sort of reptile or animal...
Well... there must be a reason for that. Just saying... ;) :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.