What temperature do you let your Russian/Horsefield outside?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I'm curious to know at what temperatures other Russian/Horsefield outside (if you bring them inside for the winter).

I am seeing people in colder climates than mine let them out in the 50s or 60s (10-15 Celsius). I usually don't let mine out until its around 70 outside (21c) but I'm wondering if I'm being overly conservative. I'd like him outside more often than not, but when the ground is in the 50s I feel like its just too cold. But it seems like others let them out like that normally. I should add that his enclosure does not get a lot of direct sun in the winter, so its not a case of 60 degrees and in bright sunlight. More like dappled sun and light shade.

For those who want to reply, what temp do you bring them outside and where are you in the world?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
(Not a Russian owner)

I bring my redfoot outside for the "sun rush" when temperatures are above 60 and it's sunny.

Outdoor space in winter is set up on the southern side, Cyprus sun is pretty warm and RFs shell is dark. Temperature gun shows about 85-87F on the shell surface. If she seeks for a hide - I take her back inside.

Depending on cloud cover and such, her outdoors time lasts from 10 minutes to several hours. She has learned to scratch the vivarium's glass when she's in the mood for a walk and don't do that after return.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I definatly wait for warm long summer days to use the outside enc as it is currently winterised. However today I sat on a bench in the garden and it was glorious so I gave him a 20 mins monitored wander and fresh air opportunity as the sun was shining but as you say it was around 10c.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm curious to know at what temperatures other Russian/Horsefield outside (if you bring them inside for the winter).

I am seeing people in colder climates than mine let them out in the 50s or 60s (10-15 Celsius). I usually don't let mine out until its around 70 outside (21c) but I'm wondering if I'm being overly conservative. I'd like him outside more often than not, but when the ground is in the 50s I feel like its just too cold. But it seems like others let them out like that normally. I should add that his enclosure does not get a lot of direct sun in the winter, so its not a case of 60 degrees and in bright sunlight. More like dappled sun and light shade.

For those who want to reply, what temp do you bring them outside and where are you in the world?
My little Russian lives inside through the winter. I take him outside daily if the outdoor temperatures run around 75° for several days. I don't like to start too early taking him out because then he's constantly demanding and begging to go out side. I hate it when I have to tell him no. He has sad puppy tortoise eyes.
I live in Ohio.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
If it’s sunny and above 55 or so, I usually take my Russian out until it’s down to 50 or below. If it’s above 60 and sunny, he definitely goes out. If the overnight low is 50 or higher and it’s not going to rain, I keep him out through the night. If it’s above 70ish, I usually just keep him out regardless of the weather unless it’s going to be pouring all day. He stays outside 24/7 for most of spring through fall. I think I’m going to build him a proper night box this summer so I can get rid of the massive kiddy pool full of mulch in my room and stop worrying about the weather :p

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I let mine out in the mid 50s if there's full sun. They do well and graze. I bring them in at sunset.
As far as the ones that brumate, they pop in and out as they please.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My little Russian lives inside through the winter. I take him outside daily if the outdoor temperatures run around 75° for several days. I don't like to start too early taking him out because then he's constantly demanding and begging to go out side. I hate it when I have to tell him no. He has sad puppy tortoise eyes.
I live in Ohio.
Our area in early spring can freeze one minute and the next will be a winter storm then 70°f so I wait until the weather is stable.before I start taking him in and out daily. I don't leave him outside through the night ever because we have snails and that's when they're most active.🤗

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Our area in early spring can freeze one minute and the next will be a winter storm then 70°f so I wait until the weather is stable.before I start taking him in and out daily. I don't leave him outside through the night ever because we have snails and that's when they're most active.🤗
I haven't' heard of snails being a problem. Will they attack a tortoise??

erin

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I haven't' heard of snails being a problem. Will they attack a tortoise??

erin
I can't say they won't attack but I believe they can cause worms and diseases etc in your tortoise if eaten or lived with. So far my tortoise's stool sample is good even though they are in his enclosure when he's not. Namely at night. I would have to do an insecticide to get rid of them in a wetlands so no. I'll just deal with it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

60 is fine IF it is sunny. If his winter enclosure is not sunny, I would move it, or make another one. I have two outdoor enclosures for some of mine. One for winter in full sun, and another for summer in heavy shade.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
60 is fine IF it is sunny. If his winter enclosure is not sunny, I would move it, or make another one. I have two outdoor enclosures for some of mine. One for winter in full sun, and another for summer in heavy shade.
Unfortunately it is the sunniest place in my yard. The rest of my backyard is shady all year round, or my concrete driveway. This area is full sun for about eight or nine months and dappled sun for three.