What do russian tortoises like to do?

tortoisegirl5

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I am getting a Russian (horsefield) tortoise for Christmas, and I was just wondering what they like to do/ play with. Any ideas? Do they like those little log tunnels you can get for hamsters, or what???

Thanks!!!

:tort::tort::tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I am getting a Russian (horsefield) tortoise for Christmas, and I was just wondering what they like to do/ play with. Any ideas? Do they like those little log tunnels you can get for hamsters, or what???

Your question makes me think you might have the wrong idea about what a tortoise is and isn't, and what to do with a tortoise.

They need be be set up in proper enclosures with the correct substrate, cage furnishing and temperatures. They are not play things, they don't play, they don't like slippery hamster tunnels or confinement, they should not be out on the floor of your house and they will do best if left alone and given clean water and food. If you want something to play with, pet and give "love" to, a puppy, a ferret or a rat would be a much better choice. Your tortoise does not want your affection. It wants want jonsonboswell listed.

These might help:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If you provide the right type of environment for your tortoise it will be very happy. Nice deep substrate to dig in. A nice dark place to hide, plants to trample :), eat, and hide under. A terra-cotta plant saucer full of water to drink and soak in. Varied terrain to walk on. A nice big enclosure to explore. You get the idea.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, tortoisegirl, hello again.
All of the above, really.
A Russian tortoise is a solitary, territorial animal that really likes to be left pretty much alone.
He, or she, will love patrolling his enclosure, climbing, digging, eating and sleeping, many like their soaks and some might like an occasional neck rub or gentle head scratch when they get to know you.
They don't want or need friends or companionship nor being held.
You can put plants, a cuttlefish bone and little hills or ridges in the enclosure to help keep them occupied.

tortoisegirl5

Your question makes me think you might have the wrong idea about what a tortoise is and isn't, and what to do with a tortoise.

They need be be set up in proper enclosures with the correct substrate, cage furnishing and temperatures. They are not play things, they don't play, they don't like slippery hamster tunnels or confinement, they should not be out on the floor of your house and they will do best if left alone and given clean water and food. If you want something to play with, pet and give "love" to, a puppy, a ferret or a rat would be a much better choice. Your tortoise does not want your affection. It wants want jonsonboswell listed.

These might help:
thanks. I do want a tortoise and have been researching for 2 years now. I know they are not affectionate, but they are still friendly. Also, I am getting a tortoise table with a mesh lid and 50/50 soil/ playsand substrate. they will have a water pool, a zoomed basking light and a shady area. They will have the correct food, and will have a soak every week. Thanks, tortoisegirl5

tortoisegirl5

A Russian tortoise is a solitary, territorial animal that really likes to be left pretty much alone.
He, or she, will love patrolling his enclosure, climbing, digging, eating and sleeping, many like their soaks and some might like an occasional neck rub or gentle head scratch when they get to know you.
You can put plants, a cuttlefish bone and little hills or ridges in the enclosure to help keep them occupied.
thanks loads. I am only getting one, so it should be quite happy!

tortoisegirl5

...they like to dig, climb the walls, escape, eat and sleep.
thanks! I will make the substrate nice and deep, so that they can dig in it, and they will have rocks to climb on too. Of course I will let them out and into the garden as well.

tortoisegirl5

If you provide the right type of environment for your tortoise it will be very happy. Nice deep substrate to dig in. A nice dark place to hide, plants to trample :), eat, and hide under. A terra-cotta plant saucer full of water to drink and soak in. Varied terrain to walk on. A nice big enclosure to explore. You get the idea.
thanks! I will write everybody's replies down, so that I remember what to give him/her! It will have an indoor enclosure and an outdoor one, as well as the whole house to roam in. (the floor will be cleared of wires and harmful stuff)

tortoisegirl5

thank you! I will only handle it when it is needed, and I am only getting one!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
thanks. I do want a tortoise and have been researching for 2 years now. I know they are not affectionate, but they are still friendly. Also, I am getting a tortoise table with a mesh lid and 50/50 soil/ playsand substrate. they will have a water pool, a zoomed basking light and a shady area. They will have the correct food, and will have a soak every week. Thanks, tortoisegirl5
Mesh lids are not good for holding in the humidity indoors, although they're good outside to allow sunlight to reach the tortoise but keep other animals out.
A closed chamber.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
is a better idea.
The substrate you suggest is also not the best.
It doesn't hold moisture as well as some of the others and sand is bad for tortoises and can cause impaction if swallowed.
Coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch are much better alternatives.
Hope this helps your preparations.
It's good you're checking first before you get the tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

The problem with "researching" is that what you learn depends entirely on the person trying to teach you. There is a lot of old, outdated, incorrect info circulating around "out there".

Open tops make it very difficult to maintain even moderate humidity, which russians need.

Sand is potentially dangerous. Is is a possible skin and eye irritant and it can cause impaction over time when very small amounts are ingested stuck to the food on a regular basis. There are much safer and better alternatives. I don't like or trust soil because there is no way to know what it is made from.

Here is some current, good russian care info:

tortoisegirl5

The problem with "researching" is that what you learn depends entirely on the person trying to teach you. There is a lot of old, outdated, incorrect info circulating around "out there".

Open tops make it very difficult to maintain even moderate humidity, which russians need.

Sand is potentially dangerous. Is is a possible skin and eye irritant and it can cause impaction over time when very small amounts are ingested stuck to the food on a regular basis. There are much safer and better alternatives. I don't like or trust soil because there is no way to know what it is made from.

Here is some current, good russian care info:
thank you! I will print out these threads, so that I remember. The enclosure would not be open topped anyway, because I am getting a lid to protect the tortoise. This should provide humidity too. Thanks for all the help!

tortoisegirl5

Mesh lids are not good for holding in the humidity indoors, although they're good outside to allow sunlight to reach the tortoise but keep other animals out.
A closed chamber.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
is a better idea.
The substrate you suggest is also not the best.
It doesn't hold moisture as well as some of the others and sand is bad for tortoises and can cause impaction if swallowed.
Coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch are much better alternatives.
Hope this helps your preparations.
It's good you're checking first before you get the tortoise.
Ok,
outdoor= mesh
indoor= closed chamber
substrate= probably coconut coir- easiest to get my hands on round here...
Thanks!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine after being in his enclosure for over a year, with no problems, likes to escape the first weekend the tort sitter put him in his outside enclosure and giving the tort sitter a heart attack and have the sitters whole family worried and looking.
He was found in my neighbors garden. That's what my Russian likes to do:D

awesomecs

5 Year Member

DONT DO IT dude don't get that substrate it hurts the tortoise eyes well sand dose oh and I've been studying tortoise for 2 years now and I had tory for one year