Do you let your russian roam your room?

AWW

Do you let your russian roam your room? House? Out of their habitat?

If so how long?

Mine likes it a lot, but I'm nervous about a large number of things.

Captain Albert Watson Walkslow

Recent tortoise owners.
Future Pharmacist.
And also a biologist.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
No. This is a very dangerous practice, and I have seen it lead to death, injury or surgery far too many times.

Tortoises belong in dedicated tortoise safe areas.

AWW

After tortoise proofing. And when there is no human movement just watching tortoise and reading book??

Recent tortoise owners.
Future Pharmacist.
And also a biologist.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Things fall to the floor. Hair, earrings, buttons, the list is endless. I've seen all sorts of ingested objects in tortoise X-rays. In a dedicated tortoise enclosure, the risk of inedible things falling into the enclosure is greatly reduced, and for some reason they seem less apt to eat things they shouldn't when they are in their enclosures. I've also seen x-ays of broken tortoise legs from tortoises accidentally being hit by doors or being stepped on. Again, in an enclosure where there are no swinging doors or people walking, this risk is eliminated. Then there is the temperature. Maggie says it best: Take off all your clothes and lay naked on the floor where you want to let your tortoise roam. How long until you get cold? Maybe not as much of a concern for a russian as it is for a baby sulcata, but its still cold. Not a factor for everyone, but many tortoise are mauled by the friendly family dog during these out-of-thier-enclosure-excursions. Also, many tortoise get freaked out in a wide open unfamiliar area and frantically run around looking for a place to hide.

Tortoises need lots of room to roam, but to keep them safe, it is best to do this in a very large dedicated tortoise enclosure. Not loose on the floor.

AWW

Agreed, safe for sure. A small clean room with a locked door. Can't do anything about girlfriends hair it gets in his enclosure already...

Recent tortoise owners.
Future Pharmacist.
And also a biologist.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Ok, I'm starting to feel weird about posting links to my blog posts on 3 different occasions today... but it just so happens that I wrote about EXACTLY what you are asking here. I will join in with saying a resounding 'NO' - your tortoise should not roam your house for many many many reasons. Even in a clean, locked room, the temperatures most likely are not ideal for a tortoise... not to mention other potential dangers. If you are up for a read:

http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-tortoise-should-not-roam-your-house.html

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
it seems you already have you mindset on letting it roam you've heard a lot of opinions just know what we see as "having fun" is normally tortoise stress looking for somewhere to hide

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I will never do that! ! !

G_Vincey

London
I put a towel in the dryer for a few minutes, until it's warm not hot, like his water.. Then put that on the floor and let him roam..
I make a cove in one end of the towel and take a pinch of his food from his enclosure and place it on a slate at the other end of the towel..
He will investigate for a while, eat and then when he's done he will reside to the cove.. After a few minutes of being in there, I put him back in his enclosure..

I have nothing that can fall on my tortoise where he roams, no one that will step on him, no doors to accidentally hit him and it's always clean when I do so..

Some people say no, that's fine they have good reason to..
Personally I think, as long as it is safe to, then why not?

Surely, the temp on the floor for 15-20 mins can't be any worse then a couple hours outside where temps are not always ideal?

M

Maggie Cummings

Because it's not safe...period. He could eat paper clips, bobby pins, cat hair, dust bunnies, human hair, dog hair,the list is endless. He is a tortoise, not a dog. I will guarantee he is not enjoying himself when he is out like you think. He is stressed out, looking for someplace safe to hide.
There are numerous experienced keepers saying it's not a good idea, why not listen to the voices of experience???
Also, if the temperature is not ideal, a small tortoise should not be put outside at all.

M

Maggie Cummings

I let mine out for 5 minutes a day for a little change
If he needs to get out "for a little change" his habitat is too small...
they don't need 'out'. They need to stay where the are and feel safe...

G_Vincey

London
Because it's not safe...period. He could eat paper clips, bobby pins, cat hair, dust bunnies, human hair, dog hair,the list is endless. He is a tortoise, not a dog. I will guarantee he is not enjoying himself when he is out like you think. He is stressed out, looking for someplace safe to hide.
There are numerous experienced keepers saying it's not a good idea, why not listen to the voices of experience???
Also, if the temperature is not ideal, a small tortoise should not be put outside at all.

See this is the thing, I watch him, so he is not unattended, therefore will eat nothing but what I allow him to..
When I put him back in his enclosure he claws at the sides, I'm sure his enclosure is big enough, so it seems to me as though he enjoys being out of his enclosure (he moves a lot more when he's out if it)
I have no issue listening to experienced keepers, but when there experience is based on situations I wouldn't let happen under my careful supervision, then I don't see it as such a problem for me..
I wouldn't let my tortoise out if I didn't feel it was absolutely safe for him..
I don't keep my tortoise outside, but I'm saying, for the people who do, you can't tell me your temps outside are always 100% ideal without inconsistencies for less then 10-15 minutes..

Last edited:

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I used to let my tort wander on a towel...figuring this minimized the risk of ingesting things etc. I looked away one time, for less than a minute to check a text message, and he fell and nicked his scute. It will never grow normally now. It doesn't matter how diligent or careful you think you are, eventually something will happen. This is just asking for trouble. If you want to give him a change of scenery set up a kiddie pool for him and change the layout now and then. You can also use that to take him outside.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Do you let your russian roam your room? No House? No Out of their habitat? Not indoors, occasionally outdoors.

If so how long?When I let them roam around an area outside that is not their enclosure, It's not very long. Usually until they stop grazing.

Mine likes it a lot, but I'm nervous about a large number of things. How can you tell he likes roaming the house floor? I can tell mine like roaming the great outdoors because they are comfortably grazing or sprawled out basking in the sunlight VS. if they were actively walking about looking for hiding places. That would mean they are scared or uncomfortable.
I'd be nervous about a large number of things, too. In fact, that's exactly why I don't allow it...

.[/QUOTE

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Also, many tortoise get freaked out in a wide open unfamiliar area and frantically run around looking for a place to hide.
Tom nailed it... I think too many people see this active behavior while on the floor and view it as "my tortoise likes it".. :/

I know my tortoise is comfortable when they are grazing or laying sprawled out basking. :shy:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks like minds won't be changed till something bad happens. A kiddie pol is a great idea, a secure enclosure is always a good idea, house/room roaming is not. Like I said your tortoise, your choice, at least give the kiddie pool a chance.

G_Vincey

London
Ok, from now on no more free roaming.. I will trust your knowledge and the kiddie pool does sound great..

& starsapphire I'm presuming this towel wasn't on the floor?

& then does this limit handling him to strictly in his enclosure?