Western Hermann's tortoise Care Video from the TSA's Symposium

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Captive Husbandry, Maintenance & Understanding of the Western Hermann's Tortoise (Testudo hermanni hermanni)

"Chris Leone's presentation (Garden State Tortoise LLC & theTurtleRoom), as seen at the Turtle Survival Alliance 2015 Symposium on the Conservation and Biology of Tortoises and Freshwater Turtles in Tucson, AZ, August 6-9. This talk was part of the Captive Husbandry: Collaboration and Conservation session held on Saturday, August 8th, 2015."

www.theturtleroom.com
www.gardenstatetortoise.com
www.hermannihaven.com

keepergale

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san diego
Very well done. Of course that won't surprise anyone here. Looking forward to the genetic test results.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great presentation Chris. Loved it. Spelled out all the important points.

chinese guy

Hello,you are my idol!I am from China.I love your message,it is very helpful to me.I keep three tortoises in my university dormitory.And I want to make a friend with you!!!

SachaZ

Ottawa
Thank you so much for this video, Chris. Watched two times.

Fond du Lac/WI
Hi! Just seeking some of the pros out there. We did alot of research and prepping before having a tortiose but that doesn't seem to be enough. We received our baby in early August, thinking it was only a couple weeks old. He slept alot but was active when he was awake. In the last week he has stopped eating and sleeping 24/7 if we would let him. He's not even walking or burrowing himself in. We take him outside when its above 70 and before last week he would eat clovers and dandelions like crazy. He drinks water and has been peeing but we have to put him in the dish. We just added some liquid calcium to his water and he seemed to perk up a little. We upgraded to a longer uvb bulb since his home is larger. We keep the temp between 80-90 during the day and have heard mix thoughts on evening temps for a baby. We've tried both ways of making it cooler and leaving it warmer but have not seen a behavior change. We feed him mixed greens with a variety of veggies and weeds they are allowed to eat but he has made no effort to eat. He has no got pooped either, at least I couldn't find any. His bottom shell seems softer today but we did do his warm soak last night, not sure if it's from that. If we handle him he does wake up for a short time. Any thoughts?