WC or CB Russian?

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gran Pulse
Would you think this guy is WC or CB? The previous owner thinks he is WC because he shell is so smooth. However I would think the opposite.

Here he is:

10407311_1650224725200694_8404935531471332566_n.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
WC usually heve some damage to the shell from living in the wild or from the capture and shipping process. I agree with you on this. He is adorable.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
His beak has grown in a little oddly. Not anything I would worry about.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Yes. Still looking CB to me.

Hmmm. For the first time EVER, I think I disagree with you, @Tom - this is no CB tortoise. If you look at the view of the shell as seen from above, there is significant wear, especially in the middle of each scute. Also, the growth rings are much more pronounced than is seen in captive bred tortoises - those result from the alternating food-rich times, followed by brumation or aestivation... this is a nice, handsome tortoise, but it is WC in my opinion.

I guess there is no way to know 100%... one way would be to run a fecal exam, and see what all shows up... a WC tortoise would have a whole plethora of fun stuff in its gut... unless it was treated already. In which case you will never know. :)

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I don't think it's possible to tell from a picture. Some owners keep their tortoises under conditions similar to nature with brumation,...
so a CB can look a lot like a wild tortoise. And if a WC came to humans at a young age (maybe even as hatchling), of course the shell will look like a CB.

But anyway, this one is a little beauty and looks unusual with his white eye patches. :)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I agree that it's most likely WC-as already said, the sanding down of the shell and the 'scars' are rarely seen in CB tortoises, although not impossible if they are kept outside in rocky conditions.