Overall Appearance

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
I've been seeing a lot about the general appearance of a russian tortoises shell (that they are bumpier and not as smooth in general) and was just wondering whether it's based on fact or cosmetics?
Do CB russians have smoother shells (if properly cared for) than WC russians? Such as, my WC russian has 'battle scars' on the top of his shell since before I got him... from his days wandering the wilderness. A CB russian might not have any marks or scars.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Nank's WC as well so I cant speak for CBs but Nank has a dent in the back of his shell due to what we assume was shipping, other than that I mean he's not like super smooth but not pyramided. In fact I've never seen a pyramided Russian, or super smooth one, they all kind of have the same little raised bumps that I've seen in pictures here. I'd love to see what people with CBs have to say :)

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Yes, my Russians shell is very bumpy as well as some "battle scars" that you mention, from before he was mine.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Russians do have "rougher" shells than other species.

Even though they are one of my favorites, they are not going to win any tortoise beauty contests.
:D do you know why that is? Like, in evolutionary terms, maybe lumps could look like itty bitty rocks to birds?

Magilla504

I'm not sure of captive Breds since I have never had one. I do know that my newest addition "Shelly" was a wild caught juvenile that I got from Tyler Stewart from tortoise supply. Tyler had her for about 5 months and it shows! I was amazed at the beauty and smooth texture of her shell. My other wild caught torts had battle scars but not this girl :) check out the pic . I'll send more later
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412795968.171044.jpg

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, jeffjeff, I DO see a difference between WC and CB! Wild conditions are much harsher, though, and that probably make a big difference in the shell looks!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm not sure of captive Breds since I have never had one. I do know that my newest addition "Shelly" was a wild caught juvenile that I got from Tyler Stewart from tortoise supply. Tyler had her for about 5 months and it shows! I was amazed at the beauty and smooth texture of her shell. My other wild caught torts had battle scars but not this girl :) check out the pic . I'll send more later
View attachment 99383
I love how your little (big?:p ) guy's color fades out near the bottom!
I do agree with you, after a while any WC 'scars' might heal with new growth...I would love to see more , you have a gorgeous tort!! :D

Magilla504

To me it looks like most of the captive bred torts are much light in color. Anyone else notice that? I'm sure age plays a big roll since the cb torts are
Probably much younger

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA