walking :)

donna_lou

Hi everybody :) I'm new to the group and was just asking a question
Is there something wrong with my tortoise or are they lazy?
They walk with their belly on the floor..is there any way of getting them to build up muscle or anything that I can give them? They eat very well and are healthy and growing but they just drag their bodies on the ground.. I hope that makes sense.. Thank you x

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If we can get more info like menntioned ones above we can help you. My guess without seeing anything, would be that your enclosure is too small and they are not getting enough exercise to build up their strength. I rehabbed one that also couldn't walk good and didn't pick itself up and this was its situation. So, please post us pics and give us all the info about the husbandry that you can think of.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My guess is that you have them on a smooth surface where they can't get any traction and their legs are slipping out from under them. Do you use any kind of substrate?

It would help if we could see pictures of the tortoises and their habitat.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
:tort:A warm welcome to the forum! Iagree with what the members mentioned: photos are needed so as to answer your qestions.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
One way to build strength in your tortoise is to add a ramp and a second story to your enclosure. It's good exercise for them to go up and down the ramp.

Good luck.