How to recognize star tortoise

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
Hi guys I’m new to this species, but I would have some clarification, is there a guide to recognize the different subspecies?(south India, nord India and Sri Lanka?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
@Tom should be able to help you. Can you post pictures of the tortoise?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys I’m new to this species, but I would have some clarification, is there a guide to recognize the different subspecies?(south India, nord India and Sri Lanka?
As far as I am aware, there are no recognized subspecies for Geochelone elegans.

North and South Indians are essentially the same, and Sri Lankans get bigger.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Yeah, there are just regional variations in coloring and morphology: https://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Geochelone_elegans/

Just curious, what got you interested in the subspecies question? I read a bit on this when I was doing a deep dive into the subspecies research done on Russian tortoises back in early 2010s. I was thinking whether this research would help me find native plants etc. better, but the research on Russians I was able to find didn't really lead to a clear cut conclusion, some say there are 3 subspecies, some say 5, some say none... The subspecies question is really more curiosity for me, not a clear cut fact. Even though some scientists recognize subspecies, it really doesn't affect the day to day life of a pet keeper.