Visit to Petco today

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
kyryah said:
Katie, you HAVE to get a hold of me next time you come up here!!! I have only met two other members of the forum face to face, and I would love to have you come visit :) McBain is too close for you to make up an excuse ;)

I will, I'm DYING to see your enclosures in person :D (And I've never met a forum member- and I belong to a million forms :rolleyes: )
Unfortunately I probably won't be there next until the first week in August, blah.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
dmmj said:
sorry to say but for petco it is simple economics it is not cost efficient to take one to a vet. make no mistake I am in no way pleased or happy at the situation either. Usually I don't like government interference but if it can be proven that a pet store is harming a pet through improper care can anything be done? I mean it is against the law to willfully mistreat animals right? even reptiles.

I once went into the local petco back in WA to find that their Chinese Water Dragon, in addition to the expected MBD, dehydration, and other chronic issues big box stores are famous for, had a broken toe... As in it had broken and healed and no one had noticed the bone sticking out of the middle of the toe. Pointed this out to the attendant. They took him to the local vet and got the toe fixed up...

And here's where it gets interesting, because the same employee was very short and rude to me next time I went in. Apparently the vet had diagnosed the MBD ("messed up jaw" is the way she put it) and now they had to put it up for "adoption" (meaning, you only have to make a donation to the Petco Foundation and prove you have an enclosure for it) instead of selling it for some $200. :rolleyes:

Anyway, my point was, there are Petcos that will take an animal to the vet... But it looks like they draw the line at small, obvious, easy (and cheap) to fix injuries that won't affect its saleability once the injury is fixed--chronic and/or life-threatening issues be damned. (In which case, it's probably a good thing they have no idea what MBD and the like look like, 90% of the time!!)

Fingers crossed your Petco does right by the tort and gets it to a good vet!!! Poor girl! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.