Turkey Day Surprises

AnimalLady

OMG! SO CUTE!

Question for your Jeff, do a lot of your babies have that little fold on the top of the shell? Is it any more prevalent in RF's that other species? Why exactly does it happen? (Sorry that was like 3 questions... )

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Sure is being pokey. Did you tell him folks are waiting on him?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
OMG! SO CUTE!

Question for your Jeff, do a lot of your babies have that little fold on the top of the shell? Is it any more prevalent in RF's that other species? Why exactly does it happen? (Sorry that was like 3 questions... )
Yes .....
Hatchling and young red-footed tortoises have that notch from being curled up in the egg. When I say "curled" they are not only curled , but depending on egg size/hatchling size they tend to fold within the egg as well. The first few years and new keratin that is still soft and pliable, this will start to grow/smooth out. (why during this time - most important for daily sprays and a humid environment ) Redfoots as adults are more oblong in shape then most other species. I have experienced these transitions with Sullies' and Leos, but maybe not so pronounced.
Maybe some other folks will chime in ......<cough> Folks who ACTUALLY have had several clutches hatch to compare notes/results.
;)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Sure is being pokey. Did you tell him folks are waiting on him?
Wait to ya see the first 3 ......

Was thinking of making a new thread for their pics...........whadda ya think?:rolleyes:

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Hi Jeff. What humidity do incubate at with reds. Cheers.
I try to maintain over-all in the incubator between 87- 93%........now I do two different types of incubation within the incubator. Some of the eggs are within a "closed top container" while others are out in the open no tops . This not only effects humidity levels , but also temperature. I might also note this is not a "stale air" type incubator as well.
Peace~:D

AnimalLady

Yes .....
Hatchling and young red-footed tortoises have that notch from being curled up in the egg. When I say "curled" they are not only curled , but depending on egg size/hatchling size they tend to fold within the egg as well. The first few years and new keratin that is still soft and pliable, this will start to grow/smooth out. (why during this time - most important for daily sprays and a humid environment ) Redfoots as adults are more oblong in shape then most other species. I have experienced these transitions with Sullies' and Leos, but maybe not so pronounced.
Maybe some other folks will chime in ......<cough> Folks who ACTUALLY have had several clutches hatch to compare notes/results.
;)
That makes perfect sense, thank you kind sir :) <3 !

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I try to maintain over-all in the incubator between 87- 93%........now I do two different types of incubation within the incubator. Some of the eggs are within a "closed top container" while others are out in the open no tops . This not only effects humidity levels , but also temperature. I might also note this is not a "stale air" type incubator as well.
Peace~:D
Mmm. Mine keeps dropping to 76%. :mad:

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Mmm. Mine keeps dropping to 76%. :mad:
If you have the room ......use a "wick type" set up. A simple hack ...take a plastic bowl with sponges turn sponges upright and sideways so part of them remain out of the bowl or if there is no room...just use the sponges alone. Although...... this is a catch 22 , because of the fact no water reservoir...the sponges will dry out faster , thus the need of re-wetting them - which means opening up the incubator...and then = losing your build up of humidity in the first place. But it does work...;)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
If you have the room ......use a "wick type" set up. A simple hack ...take a plastic bowl with sponges turn sponges upright and sideways so part of them remain out of the bowl or if there is no room...just use the sponges alone. Although...... this is a catch 22 , because of the fact no water reservoir...the sponges will dry out faster , thus the need of re-wetting them - which means opening up the incubator...and then = losing your build up of humidity in the first place. But it does work...;)
This figures. I have 1 bowl of water in. The entire bottom of the incubator is sponge. I've been wetting that sponge to keep humidity in the 85% range. But after a couple of days it drops off. I've just added another bowl. I'll hang sponges in the 2nd bowl. These only 11 days old, see what happens.
When I did homeana eggs I had no trouble at all with humidity, (90%+)But they had spagnhum moss around the eggs to.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The color and patterns on these guys is always so interesting.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
The color and patterns on these guys is always so interesting.

J’ ….I agree and the most fun to work with .Dominant mutations have a lot of "combination value" with regards to other mutations. These traits are not controlled at a single locus (particular location on the chromosome) I get asked a lot “can I see the parents’”? The interesting thing working on the hypo project are the line bred traits in the future ( I have kept back some of my own) and the two different producing females , who throw out different colored babies. Line bred traits refers to traits that were created through selective breeding over many generations… Traits that are line bred can be included within hypo-melanistic animals.