Tortoise threw up :(

ctkee57

5 Year Member
Hello,

My Sulcata tortoise Milo who is about 2 years old threw up last night and gave me and my family quite a scare :(. I have done some reading on why tortoises throw up and have come across everything from spoiled food to parasites and I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to why this might happen?

Just some details about the event in general: He threw up pepper that my brother had given him which my mom later said could have been spoiled because it was kind of old. He also has not pooped in a while so I am wondering maybe if that has had something to do with it? Since then he has actually been in fairly good spirits I would say. He is still eating albeit less than normal, and he has been awake and walking around in his enclosure as well. I am hesitant to think that it is parasites, but I know throwing up is serious. I am really just looking to see if anyone else has had similar experiences??

Thank you for those who reply I really appreciate it!

- Collin

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Tortoises are not really designed to throw up, so when one does it should be watched, Is it eating?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
yeah, how is the tort doing now? Perhaps the tort made a piggie of himself and gobbled too much too fast?

M

Maggie Cummings

I'd be prone to think it had something to do with not pooping. Sulcata eat their own poop, others poop and garbage if given the chance. Considering that, I don't see how a spoiled pepper would cause vomiting. Just because, why don't you try a dropper full of mineral oil on some food and see if that won't help move his bowels. It won't hurt and might help...

ctkee57

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the reply!

Yes he actually has been eating and all and actually seems to be in pretty good spirits! I think maybe he did eat too fast or perhaps my brothers didn't cut the peppers properly. He has also pooped since then, but I will be keeping a very close eye on him for the next few days!