Redfoot tortoise threw up?

Maliceinwonder_land

Location (City and/or State)
Casper, WY
Today my redfoot was basking under his light and had his head resting on his leg. It looked to me like he was resting. I left for about 30 minutes and when I came back he was by his food dish. I noticed a clearish gel like area in his enclosure, near his food bowl. I don't know where it came from. I'm assuming it was throw up. Anyways, I saw him eating it. Devouring it really. He seemed to be enjoying it??

He doesn't seem to be acting ill or anything. He's currently eating his greens and some carrot. Nothing out of the ordinary?? I can't imagine this was poop or pee since it was gel-like and clear. What could this be and should I be worried?? I've had him for five days now. He has been completely fine and healthy up until this odd occurrence.

Thank you all so much. This is such a wonderful forum and I've learned so much by reading posts here.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
If it were poop, clear mucus could be a sign of flagellates. You could go to the vets and get a stool sample checked out.

Where did you get your tortoise from? and have you seen him/her poop yet?

Maliceinwonder_land

Casper, WY
Here are two pics of the stuff. Sorry it's not good quality. I don't know if these will even help.
Yes he has pooped before and it looked normal. No mucus. Just a regular brown turd. Hah.

Attachments

• 1426357230409.jpg
    1426357230409.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 1426357236998.jpg
    1426357236998.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 24

Maliceinwonder_land

Casper, WY
Oh I got him from a guy who got him from someone whom I do not know. I asked him for a redfoot and he got me this little guy. As I said he seems fine... just the incident has me a little worried about him. I am completely in love with my little bugger